Close to the Veg by Michael Rand

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close to the Veg by Michael Rand

Borrowed this from the library the other day and quite enjoyed it, the odd bit of waffle, but generally a good read with quite a few interesting tips and some amusing anecdotes.

Only when I finished the book and looked at the the author pic and blurb did I realise Michael Rand is one of the guys featured in 'The Big Dig' allotment programme on UKTV recently (the one who builds chairs out of old tree branches)

He did actually comment he was in process of writing a book during programme but I didn't make the connection when I picked up the book
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

My library service dont do this book.

Does he talk about the other people from the programme at all..?
    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Doesn't seem like it, the characters in the book have been 're-named' anyway, but I didn't particularly recognise any of those in the series from his descriptions.

Are you able to put requests in for new titles at your library. Ours is sometimes open to suggestion. Are you able to log in to your library on the internet? I've found that this way I have access to choice from all the branches in the county to reserve titles from. Surely if there's not a copy in the whole of leicestershire there should be....
      And time just slips away
      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I didn't like this book...and the cover is just awful, really old-fashioned. Loved Diggers Diary tho
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by muckdiva View Post

Are you able to log in to your library on the internet? I've found that this way I have access to choice from all the branches in the county to reserve titles from. Surely if there's not a copy in the whole of leicestershire there should be....
          Yes I looked on the Tinternet through the online catalogue and its not listed in any form, i assumed this was a reflection on how good the book was.
          I have seen it on amazon, but will wait till I can borrow it.

As two_sheds says, I really liked diggers Diary as well.
          Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I was told by a librarian friend that if a book is asked for by a customer, the library will obtain a copy for them, if a search around other libraries proves fruitless, then the library will buy the book. You may require the ISBN number.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              I didn't like this book...and the cover is just awful, really old-fashioned. Loved Diggers Diary tho
              I have reserved a copy of Diggers Diary from the library on your recommendation Two sheds (I'm sure I've heard of other people raving about it on the Vine too).

I wouldn't say Close to the Veg is on my 'books to buy' list, but I did enjoy reading it once I realised probably only 50% of it is about allotments, the rest being about the author's own and local history.

I thought the cover was quite clever myself, but takes all sorts, as they say.
              Last edited by muckdiva; 13-05-2007, 12:46 PM.
              And time just slips away
              Bonnie Raitt

Comment

My OH got me this book from our local library - and I'm afraid to add my support to Two Sheds views - I didn't enjoy it much at all either.
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello

Just started to read the book from the libary and notice that he only used live with 10 mins of house what a small world i agree the book so far is lacky something.

Cheers
                  Brogusblue
                  Jay's Humble Little Veggie Plot Blog

Comment

I've got this book and as I've read it, I'm more than happy to pass it on Seasprout - just send me a PM with your address.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X