Petrol strimmers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol strimmers

I desparately need to buy a petrol strimmer to tame the uneven grass paths round my allotment plots. I've had an electric rechargeable for the last couple of years (no electricity on the site) but now find it's almost clapped out as well as charging for 8 hours and cutting for about 10mins! I've got a push pull mower and muscles developing like Popeye but need a strimmer to attack the long growth first. I'd be most grateful if anybody could recommend a good strimmer before I fork out hard earned cash please. Been round most of the edges this afternoon with hand shears and could hardly stand up afterwards so you'll understand my need!

We have a McCulloch, not sure what 'model' it is but it's been going strong for about 12 years. Only been serviced about 3 times in that time, but just keeps going!

Comment

Ummmmmmmmmmmm
      interesting thread i am just thinking of getting a electric recharge one for lotty
      i think i would be too scared to use a petrol one

confused now will look on with interest :-#
      Denise xox

Learn from the mistakes of others because you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself.
      -- Alfred E. Neumann
      http://denise-growingmyown.blogspot.com//

Comment

i have a ryhbi, the one that you can fit differant, bits on like tillers, hedge trimmers, got it of ebay, was one of them seconds, but works great and carries 12 month cover,looking for the tiller, add on now.>?
        Mick aka murfe 18

Comment

Buy a straight shaft one not a bent shaft...wont go in to the whys but you loose a lot of power in the bent shaft.

Also I would buy a Ryobi. Great customer service....mine went wrong after 2 years and phoned them up...couldn't have been nicer. Asked me want was wrong...they asked if they sent me the parts could I fit them as it would be quicker or would I like to send it back.

Parts arrived a few days later then they phoned up to check that all was ok.
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Patsy,if you live in Devon I can give you a petrol strimmer.I find it too heavy to use .It works well and my son used to do my paths but with him working I found it better to do my own with a cordless.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. Unfortunately Polly, I live in the Midlands but thank you for the offer. Now a friends husband is having at look at my electric strimmer to see if he can correct it and if not he might have a petrol one I can have, so I'll hang fire till he sees what he can do. Until then it's on hands and knees with the shears and improve the muscles with the push pull mower.

Comment

Expensive advice

But worth it I think.

If getting one of these devices buy the biggest and most powerful one you can afford. Reiterate the shaft advice.
                That way when using it you can allow it to stroll rather than sprint, a machine used below its top capacity lasts much longer and is more reliable.

Also the bigger ones use thicker nylon "wire", which means when used as advised above it is less likely to damage fixed items (trees, bed edges etc).
                Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

Thanks Peter

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X