No announcement yet.

Steam generator or iron. Which to buy?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam generator or iron. Which to buy?

My steam iron is dying.

Are the steam generators so much better than a steam iron ?

If so which do you reccomend for good value for money.

By the way I'm a left hander. Bearing this in mind are there any I should avoid?

So much better, I can't tell you. The ironing is quicker, better, easier. Not cheap though. Mine's a Tefal

I make clothes, so it's a necessity ~ domestic irons just aren't up to the job
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
      My steam iron is dying.

Are the steam generators so much better than a steam iron ?

If so which do you reccomend for good value for money.

By the way I'm a left hander. Bearing this in mind are there any I should avoid?
      We've not long bought a steam generator - its a Bosch and currently on offer - so good I'm ironing most days and instead of an hour, a basket is whizzed through in fifteen minutes. You get a facial at the same time and you have to keep them cleaned out. Do I wish I'd bought one earlier? You bet!
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Wow - having read this I'd better get mine out of the shed! I was given it and never really thought about using it - I'm used to a steam iron which needs replacing every couple of years!
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
          Wow - having read this I'd better get mine out of the shed! I was given it and never really thought about using it - I'm used to a steam iron which needs replacing every couple of years!
          Convert number 3
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

my vote is for a steam generator much much quicker and better ironing all round.

Comment

steam generator here.....I HATE ironing but its much quicker, and you can just blast clothes on a hanger and they drop the creases also good for freshing dry clean only stuff
              The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

My sister has one and swears by it. From what I can gather they do create quite a lot of condensation and are quite big to store. If it's something you want though, you'll find room for it! I quite like ironing- sad I know.

Comment

I hate ironing therefore rarely do it so could never justify the expense. On average I iron about once a quarter and otherwise just smooth clothes over and choose things that don't need much ironing (don't do blouses as they look rubbish on my) although I do always do the seems etc of things I've made but have never found a problem with my trusty old steam iron which is now about 13 or 14 years old (never had one break, only replaced the last one cos the cable was getting a bit tatty and I was dubious about safety). Suppose if you do loads of ironing they may be worth it but I'd hate all that steam - my hair goes frizzy with any humidity and that would be just too much

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    I'd hate all that steam - my hair goes frizzy with any humidity
                    I don't find that it makes the room steamy at all ~ they use a blast of dry steam, it's supposed to only be 5% water (lord knows what it's made of then: fairy steam?)
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      I don't find that it makes the room steamy at all ~ they use a blast of dry steam, it's supposed to only be 5% water (lord knows what it's made of then: fairy steam?)
                      Assumed from the comment somebody made that it gave you a face sauna that there was loads of steam - best not to think too much as to how it all works, would make my brain hurt!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. You convinced me to go down the steam generator route as, although I hate ironing, I love the feel of freshly ironed cotton bedding. I think this is a reaction to my mother buying those oh so disgusting brushed nylon sheets in the sixties. At varying times older relatives have given me cotton sheets (some brand new - originally given to them as wedding presents) knowing that I would actually use them. As the new proud owner of a Bosch steam generator all I can say is I wish I'd bought one years ago. You were so right. I can't believe the difference in both time, effort and end result. Beautiful freshly ironed cotton sheets tonight!!!!!

Comment

Until I joined this forum I was totally unaware that anybody ironed bedding . Have probably said it before but when you get them ironed in hotels they smell horrible rather than that really nice fresh smell you get off the line.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X