New BBQ help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New BBQ help

I am getting a new bbq and was hoping for some help. Weber seem to be the most hyped option and I want to go with charcoal.

Are they so much better as the prices seem rather high!

All advice welcome!

Loving my allotment!

We have a BBQ in the garage, it's been used precisely 3 times in the past 4 years. Waste of money imo

Sorry Newton, you didn't want to hear that did you?

My brother does a lot of BBQing, he's got a .... (I'll get back to you once I've FBd him)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Whoever invented them should be Keelhauled Waste of time/money/ and a good

summers day + the food

paul.
      Help Wildlife.
      Take only photos-leave only footprints-Kill only time.

Comment

For a family, a five gallon drum and a hammer and cold chisel should be enough. Keep it simple and cheeeeeeep. Cheers, Tony.
        Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          We have a BBQ in the garage, it's been used precisely 3 times in the past 4 years. Waste of money imo

Sorry Newton, you didn't want to hear that did you?
          ?

My brother does a lot of BBQing, he's got a .... (I'll get back to you once I've FBd him)

Good advice was what I was after. I got exactly that so thanks........think I'll go for a cheap one that will fit in my shed........hopefully it will be a good summer and I'll get to use it!

Are there any BBQ fans out there

Loving my allotment!

Comment

I love a good barbeque The best setup I've had for a long time, are bricks placed in a circle on the lawn, piled up with charcoal and the grill resting on the bricks! Easy peasy and cheaper than chips :P
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good idea but I'd be shot if the lawn was burnt up!

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Barbies get a bad name because the chaps get all macho and want to do their thing, as usual without much thought. Hence sausages black on the outside and red raw in the middle and burgers with the texture of cheese crackers.

I love a barbie but did learn how to prepare and cook food first. If you haven't used one before do a little reading, throw away the sausages and burgers and get Ainsleys Harriots book some great recipes in there.

Colin
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

" Are there any BBQ fans out there "? I just use a bit of cardboard and waft like mad. . . .

Cheers, Tony.
                  Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                    Barbies get a bad name because the chaps get all macho and
                    ... don't clean up afterwards!

I will have nothing to do with the BBQ, because if I do, then I'll become responsible for its cleaning, which I refuse to do. Filthy messy greasy thing, I hate it.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I actually love a BBQ- but as in any kitchen , it depends on the chef!

We are on our 2nd Webber with the big kettle lid.
                      The first one lasted 15 years being left outside all year and it finally rusted where one of the legs joined underneath, The rest of it was fine though!

The lid makes meats really juicy and cooks without burning- you just need to have a feel at regulating the burning of the charcoal!
                      We've even managed to cook a whole leg of lamb in it without it burning, and being cooked nicely inside ( med).

We bought a cheap one for the gite ( at 1/5 the price) and it's already showing signs of rust at less than 1 yr old- (and it's left indoors over winter). I reckon it'll just about last 3 years if we're lucky!
                      Last edited by Nicos; 01-06-2012, 07:08 PM.
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                        ... don't clean up afterwards!

Yep forgot that bit. Being well trained I clean the barbi and help with the dishes to.

Colin
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Oh we have a BBQ! Love it. Summer evenings, and lunchtimes. Or when you have teenagers, breakfast because they don't get up till mid afteroon anyway! Bush eggs are great!

When the kids were little they loved doing the BBQ now they are older they don't see the fascination with cooking on it. We use a gas one tho. We do have a grill with foldable legs that you can sit over a fire - bit useless here since there's total fire bans in summer (gas only ok if up on deck etc where it can't start a grass/bushfire.) and in winter you don't want a piddling little fire under the grill you want a big boisterous fire to keep you warm!
                          Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

A BBQ is firmly entrenched in family traditions here too. Even in UK we'd have dozens a year
                            Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Hi Newton,

For me it's an Outback BBQ. Good quality and variety of models. At the end of the day a lot depends on how much you want to spend and ultimately how much you enjoy bbqing! Imo the advancement of technology in gas bbqs has brought about a much improved,quicker, and just as good method of cooking as charcoal bbqs. If you know how to get the best out it noone would know the difference.

Ours comes out of the shed in March and we use it when we we can - it doesn't have to be sunny for a BBQ - otherwise we'd never use one in this country! Get a good recipe book and try cooking a Sunday dinner on one!

Anyway,whatever you choose enjoy it! Especially cooking your homegrown toms,peppers,courgettes,spuds and most other things you might be growing!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X