Wood Burning Pen & Plant Labels

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Burning Pen & Plant Labels

Not sure if this is the right place for this!

Following wonderful Grape advice I've managed to lay my hands on a wooden venetian blind (thank you Freecycle! ) and I'm planning on making some plant labels for the lottie.

I've experimented with a permanent marker which will do the job just fine but I'd love to get a woodburning / pyrography pen to write them out with before varnishing them.

Just wondering if anyone knows if a soldering iron would do the job? Would it get hot enough? They seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the woodburning pens!
    http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

I just undercoated my slats in white and wrote on them in pencil (the paint does flake off after a season though)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You can if they are really really hot irons and you have a knife tip.

I use fast dry enamel paint - insignia red - on my slate and wooden labels [the wooden ones are painted a selection of colours from sample pots that I have obtained from my various homebase mystery shops when we had to buy a tin of mixed paint]. This means I can scrape it off if needed.

Comment

it will, but it will take longer, it hasn't got a sharp tip, or burred tip to make it easier for definition.

Comment

I use bits cut off old narrow aluminium venetian blinds. It's very easy to scratch through the painted surface tomark on varieties dates etc and they can be cut with a kitchen scissors to a size to suit. I use the nail from a picture hook jammed into the end of an old rotary glass cutter for my "pen" but any sharp pointed object would work.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
            You can if they are really really hot irons and you have a knife tip.

I use fast dry enamel paint - insignia red - on my slate and wooden labels [the wooden ones are painted a selection of colours from sample pots that I have obtained from my various homebase mystery shops when we had to buy a tin of mixed paint]. This means I can scrape it off if needed.
            I'm liking the sound of this! Are you using emulsion or gloss/satinwood Zaz?

I'd like to make them as weatherproof as possible as some of them are going to be in there all over winter and I'd like to keep using them rather than be hunting around for more blinds next year!

I guess varnishing over the top of the emulsion/enamel paint would stop them taking on moisture. Could always sand them down again if need be.
            http://vegblogs.co.uk/overthyme/

Comment

I believe it is satin, it doesn't wash off when rained on but the brushes wash off fine. It's a winter job of mine so the pots are deep in the cupboard under the sink - so I can't get them out and check!

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                I believe it is satin, it doesn't wash off when rained on but the brushes wash off fine. It's a winter job of mine so the pots are deep in the cupboard under the sink - so I can't get them out and check!
                Pssst guys, it's really a man drawer. Wimmin have them as well

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                  Pssst guys, it's really a man drawer. Wimmin have them as well
                  Well, technically - it's Mr Z's fault as he shoves everything on top of the bucket for car cleaning that sits in there. So yes, you are correct.

Comment

that woman should have been a politician

Comment

Got a hankering for slate labels mesell!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X