Overwintering Veg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwintering Veg

I am starting to look at overwintering veg - both seeds and plants.

Can you recommend me any good suppliers or good crops to try? or to avoid

Thanks
    Loz
    http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

Hi,
    I grow leeks, parsnips, savoy cabbage, celeriac, tuscany kale, dwarf kale and early sprouting broccoli over the winter period - all from seed.
    You're definitely too late for parsnips, leek and celeriac. You might be okay starting the rest from seed now - though you won't get a harvest until at least January. You'd probably be better off buying in seedlings of the brassicas if you're looking for an early crop.
    It's the perfect time for planting seed potatoes to get a Christmas crop though!
    come visit a garden
    or read about mine www.suburbanvegplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

You can buy overwintering onion sets to go in around September. These should overwinter and produce a crop June/July next year (a couple of months before the main crop onions are ready).

Comment

Originally posted by lozza_9 View Post
        I am starting to look at overwintering veg - both seeds and plants.
        Oh Loz, you should've been thinking about it back in May
        You might be able to get some plants in the garden centres now, otherwise you're down to autumn onions & broad beans
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          Oh Loz, you should've been thinking about it back in May
          You might be able to get some plants in the garden centres now, otherwise you're down to autumn onions & broad beans
          I've also just sown some spring cabbages and will be sowing some hardy peas and winter lettuce before the winter (although the lettuce will be under cover).

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            just sown some spring cabbages and ... hardy peas and winter lettuce .
            Oh, and radishes, don't forget those if you like them. I've put in 3 different winter ones and I always sow French Breakfast in October too
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you're quick, there are some half price brassicas at Mr Fothergills. I ordered only yesterday and they arrived today and are really healthy little plants. I got cabbages and cauliflowers, but there are stir fry collections, lettuces, kale and broccoli along with others I can't remember at the mo.
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Spring cabbage plants go in September/October - sow quick, over wintering onions and garlic either sow seed now or put sets in October.
                Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 25-08-2011, 07:33 PM.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I think Delfland still has some too if you're organic...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X