Anyone got a ride-on lawnmower?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got a ride-on lawnmower?

Sorry, didn't really know where to put this one, so opted for flowers, given that you often find those in gardens, where you often find lawns...

OH asked me to post and ask about ride-on lawn mowers. We have a garden approximately half an acre big, and he wants to know what would be an appropriate lazy-boy machine to cut the grass with! The lawned areas are in 3 different sections and there's a 'hill' aswell, so it would need to be easy to manoevre. He apparently can't decide whether to buy a cheapish one and replace in due course, or whether to buy a blow the budget jobbie.

Any advice gratefully received - especially if it means our lawns will be more manicured than they currently are!

We've got a second hand one from a local "lawn tractor" seller, who does new and used ones...

I'll have a look and see what make we've got tonight for you.

I remember it was about £600, and that model new is about £1500.

We've got about 1/3 of an acre, but part of it is paddock area that's currently pot-hole central, so our "tractor" is great for it. Plus, it takes ages to do with a petrol normal mower...

Watch this space!

Comment

The chap who does our school playing fields rides a green John Deere jobby...very nippy, and collects a large amount of clippings, which he delivers to our allotments next door.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We got rid of our ride on one and bought a robotic mower that cuts the lawn for you....good fun watching it from the hammock with a glass of wine in hand!!
        May all our seeds germinate and grow

Helen

Comment

http://www.kubota.co.uk/groundcare_1...801&id=0:13797
          This is what Im getting soon at work . .Its expensive (£9000 )but will last a lifetime if your only cutting a third of an acre .Also the collector bag can be taken off and a hood which deflects the clippings back to the ground put on if you dont need to collect the clippings. Had one of these on demo last year and they are the dogs bo^@+ks.
          Thats the blow the budget one.
          Take a look in B+Q etc (other DIY stores are available) and you will see ride-ons for about £1500 which will do the job but probably wont last as long.
          As with everything you pay the money and take your chance.
          There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

Originally posted by beefy View Post
            http://www.kubota.co.uk/groundcare_1...801&id=0:13797
            This is what Im getting soon at work . .Its expensive (£9000 )but will last a lifetime if your only cutting a third of an acre .Also the collector bag can be taken off and a hood which deflects the clippings back to the ground put on if you dont need to collect the clippings. Had one of these on demo last year and they are the dogs bo^@+ks.
            Thats the blow the budget one.
            Take a look in B+Q etc (other DIY stores are available) and you will see ride-ons for about £1500 which will do the job but probably wont last as long.
            As with everything you pay the money and take your chance.
            Handy little tool! Kubota are a good make which last well. It is basically a mini tractor with an underslung cutting deck. It can pull a small trailer if need be and also lutes, chain harrows, dragmats etc!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Also very usefull for pulling the big trade bins out once a week.
              There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore and who always will. Don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it in your future.

Comment

I'd love one, just for the fun of it. However, by the time I'd got it started and running I'd be straight through the fence at the end of the garden

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
                  I'd love one, just for the fun of it. However, by the time I'd got it started and running I'd be straight through the fence at the end of the garden
                  Hydrostaically driven I think! No brakes, press down forward to go forward and back to go back, take foot off and it stops! Couldn't be simpler!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    Hydrostaically driven I think! No brakes, press down forward to go forward and back to go back, take foot off and it stops! Couldn't be simpler!
                    Even I can drive one -so it must be easy .

Comment

We've got a Lawnflite 604

http://www.lawnflite.co.uk/garden_tractors.html#prod4

It doesn't look quite the same, so must have had a bit of a facelift...

Comment

petrol lawn mowers will soon need emissions tests like cars!

Comment

Our neighbour offered to lend OH his ride on, until we realised that without re-landscaping the garden, we couldn't actually get it on to the back lawn, so I think we'll scrap the idea!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew in Cardiff View Post
                            petrol lawn mowers will soon need emissions tests like cars!
                            Yes i heard this news atory break as well.. It was Sunday 1st April, and I fell for it as well, did 10 mins of ranting then realised the date.
                            Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
                              Yes i heard this news atory break as well.. It was Sunday 1st April, and I fell for it as well, did 10 mins of ranting then realised the date.
                              no way! i always fall for april fools. i heard it on gardeners question time on sunday! they even interviewed an MP and urged people to write to them i'd believe a person if they told me that the word gullible had been taken out of the dictionary
                              Last edited by Andrew in Cardiff; 06-04-2007, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X