Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiller / Rotovator Advice plz

Hi Guys n Gals,

We were on the plot today talking with another plotholder, who has a Mantis Tiler / rotovator, as our soil is in reasonable condition (not too clayey or too sandy) its not normally too bad to dig, but with the recent lack of rain its turned into what I can only say is like concrete! Its taken Lee all day to dig over 1 bed today, and with my bad back Im out of digging, so after talking to the other plotholder we are considering looking for a 2nd hand rotovator.

Has anyone got one, used one or had any experience with one? What did you think, what problems, what brands would you recommend, what features should we look for, and is it worth buying new, or would a 2nd hand ebay buy be better value?

Any and all advice would be welcomed!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

I have a Mantis tiller, and its a dream to use. Very lightweight to handle yet it cuts through all kinds of soil with ease. I have a medium clay type soil and the rain causes my dirt to cease up like concrete slabs as well. Yet in an hour I cleared half my very large plot with ease making lovely furrows for plantings in record time. I bought my mantis new and really it was worth it, comes with gaurnetee and all paperwork, easy to change blades if you want to, petrol goes a long way; and you can fold down the handles to make it more compact for storage in the garden shed. Good luck finding a tiller that works for you.

*Oh I forgot to add the bottom of my plot was grossly overgrown with tall weeds, about my waist high and I'm 5'6" tall, my Mantis cleared the lot down quite easily too I think I've had my Mantis for about 10 yrs now and its never given me any problems with repairs or anything!
    Last edited by Gardenwitch; 05-05-2011, 07:13 PM.
    Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

Don't get a two-stroke Mantis. They don't make them any more, but if you are considering second hand, 4-stroke is the way to go.
      Last edited by mrbadexample; 05-05-2011, 09:28 PM.
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Hi Mrs D.. when we took over our lottie about 4 years ago it was very weedy and littered with stone and rubbish after not being used for a few years.

As the soil is heavy clay on a double slope it was very hard work clearing it and i told my mate that it would take us 5 years to get the soil conditions right.

My mate, who still had some sight left, (totally blind now but a strong as an ox) set to the digging as i cant dig for more than a few mins, but it was hard work, so he bought one of them Robi things with a detachable rotovater.. What a waste of money. The first one soon burnt out and the replacement followed suit.

While chatting to my dad (who once had the same alltment) he offered to buy us a real rotovator, so after much research, i went for an Al-Ko with a Briggs and Stratten Engine and ridge plough attachment. Its about £350 new from mowers direct.

I did the whole allotment slowly over a few days in the spring of 2010 and planted tatties in the top half followed by winter cabbages.
        We put summer veg in the bottom half then, as the crops finished, i spread hos muck, sheaded paper and spent hops and left it fallow all winter.
        In March this year i took my rotovator down again and in an hour soon got the bottom half all rotovated in and potato trenched ploughed. The top half took another hour and was ready for raking. (lots of stones)

Its not as easy as you think but far easier then digging.

The most noticable thing is that before i started rotovating 2 years ago was the lack of worms.. now both halves are teeming with worms, and even in this hot dry weather the soil condition is better than it used to be and not compacted at all.
        This winter i will leave the top bed fallow and covered in hos muck, shreaded paper and spent hops (all are free, all i have to do is collect them. Hos muck from some stables, paper from an office and Hops from a micro brewery). Winter cabbages and sprouts will follow the tatties as they come come out.

If you do go for a rotovator, avoid 2 stroke.

If you were closer i would let you have a go with mine.
        I hope this helps

Roger
        Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

I have a 2 stroke mantis and it works very well. Started this spring on the second pull. It is a super tool but on very hard ground, it just bounces off and that is the same with most rotovators. A spell spent with a fork, just pushing it into the ground and then pulling back on the shaft to "break the ground" helps immensely. If your ground does get very hard, scrounge used grow bags and the likes from your friends, dig in lots of fym and generally do everything that you can to increase the humous content. You will soon notice an improvememnt.

Comment

I have a 4-stroke Mantis and am very happy with it. Used to hire a Rotavator once a season, and the moment I booked it each year the weather forecast turned to rain Now I can work the ground on a day to suit me, and when the soil is just right for rotavating.

I wouldn't use it for virgin ground, but to turn over soil that has been dug before it works very well.

I've never been able to get the lawn-edger attachment that came with it "free" to do anything useful though.
            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I have a 4-stroke Mantis and am very happy with it. Used to hire a Rotavator once a season, and the moment I booked it each year the weather forecast turned to rain Now I can work the ground on a day to suit me, and when the soil is just right for rotavating.

I wouldn't use it for virgin ground, but to turn over soil that has been dug before it works very well.

I've never been able to get the lawn-edger attachment that came with it "free" to do anything useful though.
              K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I have the two stroke version and find it to be great for large areas. Small strips are better done with a fork or spade.

Comment

Just bought a two stroke second hand wiv all the bits for the lawn. £150 bargain. Love it and it works like a dream.......

Loving my allotment!

Comment

just reading thsi thread with interest ..I wonder if there is anyone out there who has purchased an electric rotovator / tiller.
                    I cannot start the petrol ones so do need to look for an electric one.
                    Any advice would be welcome.
                    thanks
                    ‘you cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore'

Comment

I have a 2 stroke manitis, then a big 8hp one that has various plough, ridge, cultivate attatchments. The big one is used first on all the long stretches, and the mantis is used in the raised beds and to fine all the soil that the big one has turned over. They work great as a team.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X