Got that sinking feeling

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got that sinking feeling

Can anyone tell me where to get some deep (and I mean deep) plant pots please? My tomatoes are really needing to be sunk, but I haven't got anything deep enough and it's a little early to be putting them in my flower buckets.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

I was going to suggest flower buckets.. what about the square ones that blackberries/rasps come in from the garden centres? They're deep, but probably only 5/6" square?

Comment

Florence. What I've done before for toms is to wind the stems round inside the next pot up and pour earth over/round them. It hasn't ever been a problem for the toms in question and certainly resolved the legginess problem.

Comment

How about cutting the bottoms of similar sized plant pots then stacking them to make double the height, you might need to use tape to hold them together.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
          How about cutting the bottoms of similar sized plant pots then stacking them to make double the height, you might need to use tape to hold them together.
          That's what I was going to say!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
            That's what I was going to say!
            And me....

Comment

Is it great minds think alike or fools seldom differ.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

My heart tells me to say the later, but my head the frist one

Comment

I was going to suggest something completely different!!!!

How about buying a piece of 10cm drainpipe from B&Q/Homebase and cutting it into the lengths you need?
                  They can then be reused year after year.

Have a look at these....
                  plastic pipes
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                    Can anyone tell me where to get some deep (and I mean deep) plant pots please? My tomatoes are really needing to be sunk, but I haven't got anything deep enough and it's a little early to be putting them in my flower buckets.
                    Although early for the flower buckets I have been known to put them into one anyhoo - just plant them right in the bottom and earth up as they grow. That way they get the burying they need and then fresh compost to earth up as they grow.
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

I also do the winding thing, and [esp when I grow in an old recycling box] earth up as they grow.

Marvelous. Like the drainpipe idea though

Comment

Oh Flo you need to get yourself to the Yorkshire pot place and buy some long toms. Ginger can give you the details - they are slight seconds, very reasonable and absolutely gorgeous - made in Yorkshire - what more can you ask for!?
                        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

A place like that in wales?

Comment

If you've ever bought pot-grown roses you'll have a supply of Long Toms - pots about 5" across but double in height. I save those (I save all pots, drives Mr F mad!) so ask around - someone you know might have some.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I dunno how deep your current ones are, but could you make something of the right kind of size from old newspaper?
                              Fold a tabloid very roughly into 3rds and it gives a pot about 4 or 5 inches deep. More from a single fold. Broadsheets would give you something bigger still.

You just need something straight sided and the right sort of size to roll it around.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X