Not Buying It by Judi Levine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Buying It by Judi Levine

Started reading this book yesterday, and am finding it fascinating. It's about a couple's experiment to go for a year without buying anything other than the necessities (such as food ). Judi Levine is an American, so some UK readers might not identify with her, (and she doesn't have kids, so 'not buying it' will be a whole lot easier for her of course) but on the whole, I am finding this book hugely interesting. It gives some interesting theories on what drives consumerism.

Oh, and I didn't buy it - borrowed from the library
    All at once I hear your voice
    And time just slips away
    Bonnie Raitt

Muckdiva
    Yes, I read this, first of a trend I should think, heard a journalist is doing the same over here?
    It certainly made me think again about what I buy and why and my part in the capitalist system!
    But I suspect many of us grapes think along these lines anyway, trying to recycle, using freecycle, buying secondhand etc.
    Sue

Comment

Originally posted by muckdiva View Post
      Started reading this book yesterday, and am finding it fascinating. It's about a couple's experiment to go for a year without buying anything other than the necessities (such as food ). Judi Levine is an American, so some UK readers might not identify with her, (and she doesn't have kids, so 'not buying it' will be a whole lot easier for her of course) but on the whole, I am finding this book hugely interesting. It gives some interesting theories on what drives consumerism.

Oh, and I didn't buy it - borrowed from the library
      Thanks for the tip MD. Will give it a skeg.
      The law will hang the man or woman
      Who steals the goose from off the common
      But lets the greater thief go loose
      Who steals the common from the goose
      http://johntygreentoes.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sounds interesting, have just looked it up on Amazon (£3.99 + P&P at the mo) and it doesn't get a particularly good write up - the general complaint seems to be that it's not really relevant to the average person in the UK and that she wasn't that big a shopper in the first place. Did you enjoy it until the end, Muckdiva?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thinking about how I might manage. How does she define 'essentials'?
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Sounds interesting, have just looked it up on Amazon (£3.99 + P&P at the mo) and it doesn't get a particularly good write up - the general complaint seems to be that it's not really relevant to the average person in the UK and that she wasn't that big a shopper in the first place. Did you enjoy it until the end, Muckdiva?
            I'm about half way through in 2 days, and still good so far. I read the Amazon reviews (partly why I thought I'd check it out for myself from the local library rather than order it), and yes, in some ways her lifestyle means the experiment is a bit easier for her, but the essence of the book is still the same. She quotes from other writers quite a bit, which can get somewhat deep at times, but I like her descriptions of day to day life and the challenges it brings. I s'pose for a shopaholic looking for a quick fix, it's probably not the right book, but I like the way it tries to make sense of 'consuming' in a wider sense.
            Last edited by muckdiva; 24-03-2007, 12:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
            All at once I hear your voice
            And time just slips away
            Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Thanks MD, I've been trying to think of the title of this book all week. (ah - perhaps my Cosmic Ordering is at work again!)
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Muckdiva - will look out for it at our library. Always trust a review of somebody I "know"!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X