• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wormery

Can anyone recommend a good one that can cope with loads of scraps
    Belgrave-allotments.co.uk

Buy or build your own?

We've got a Can-o-worms, very easy to keep and 'use', but pricey to buy. There are only 2 of us filling it though.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Another thumbs up for the can o worms here too - not had any problems with it at all and have had it about 18 months now. Produces lovely dark worm casts. As SBP says, expensive to buy, think there's threads somewhere on how to make some. If you do get one, make sure you start slowly as from what I understand the biggest problem loads of people have is to overload to start with and it goes off and stinks!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

PP If you are DIY minded there is one on this link although when I tried it today it was down.

If you need me to send you my download please PM me your email.
        Last edited by Digger-07; 25-03-2007, 06:37 PM. Reason: : I have removed the link as it seems not to link any more to the right site.
        Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

I don't think I am upto making one, I was looking at one that looks a bit like a wheelie bin, but ot sure if you can seperate it like the can o worms, so I don't know how it would work, could be messy when you need to get to other sections.

Comment

PP I have the type you are looking at. It's not as big as a wheelie bin (3ft tall at the most). I empty it by tipping the contents onto a plastic tarp and putting what was on the top and not composted yet back into the bin. Spread the rest out on the tarp then cover an area with wet newspaper for a couple of hours and all the worms migrate to the cool and dark under the paper to be out back into the bin.

Not sure of the advantages of the COW system but mine works ok and needs emptying only one a year. Lots of liquid feed from it which is diluted 1 part to 10 water and goes on everything.

The DIY one is not difficult and is the COW pattern but with a cost of about £11 (plus worms) if you have a B&Q and Poundstretcher near you.
            Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

We've had our c-o-w about 6 years now (and we still have the same worms!), I looked at other designs and making your own, in the end I bit the bullet and paid up because of the ease of use.

We rotate our individual trays about once every six weeks in summer and slower in winter (maybe a couple of times). Whatever you get I'd base it on being able to stack and rotate the 'trays', its so easy.

Oh and we've moved house twice since we bought it and the removal men haven't minded it in their vans! LOL!

Comment

Thanks for replies I will have a look at the diy one, diggers sounds a bit messy for me. Then again the c-o-w looks so easy to use but not sure it will cope with all our scraps about a quarter of a carrier bag a day sometimes more.

Comment

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_compo...your_area.html

Put your postcode in there and it tells you what compost bins, etc you can get a deal on. My postcode shows c-o-w available @ £66!

Comment

Thanks SBP - I've added that to my favourites - I shall return!
                    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks SBP,might buy one COW as been thinking about it for a while.g
                      goddess

Comment

Think that's the cheapest I've seen them and they really are very good!!!!! The bokashi bins look pretty good value too so may give them a go - will be dropping heavy hints this weekend that they'd make a good (if rather expensive) Easter egg.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X