Portable Heater

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Heater

Hi All, would appreciate your help. My son is living in an old 2 bedroomed terraced house with no central heating and no gas. He has a small electric fire, but it eats electricity and as he is unemployed at the moment, he can't afford to run it. In short, he's freezing in this weather, with ice on the inside of the windows! Can anyone recommend a portable heater that will kick out some heat without costing a fortune?
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Dont know how much they cost to run but try the oil filled electric heaters they pump out the heat, cheap to buy. We have some for emergency.
    Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
    and ends with backache

Comment

JJ's right - they have a thermostat to keep the heat in, in a controlled way. I have one in the shed to keep the chill out.
      Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
        My son... can't afford to run it. In short, he's freezing
        Much sympathy, I was in that situation until I met Mr TS. I couldn't afford hot water, let alone heating.
        I used to get out of the house as much as possible, walking to town to use the library computers, sitting in cafes stretching out a coffee for as long as possible etc.
        I'd go to bed at 6pm just to get warm. Miserable existence.

If he was over 60, he could ride the buses all day for free.

I've just found this on MSE, it's worth a read?
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 29-11-2010, 10:37 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks All and TS, we're on the same wavelength, I looked at that last night! Looks like I'll be buying him a halogen and some electricity to go with it.
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

If you can wait a week then I can highly recommend LIDL Ceramic Fan Heater
            from Lidl next Thursday.

Comment

We have a portable Calor Gas heater for the garage and things like power cuts & CH breakdowns, and its very good. It puts out a lot of heat and doesn't use much gas
              I mean the big ones on castors, not the ones meant for camping where the reflector just clips to the cylinder
              You have to buy into the cylinder, but once you have it, the cost of gas on a full for empty basis is quite cheap
              Look in your Yelow Pages for a local dealer
              If its an old terraced house, have you thought about opening up an old fireplace?

Comment

Edit: sorry - the lidl ones are £30 - http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_15993.htm
                Last edited by chris; 09-12-2010, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X