Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol strimmer

Anyone got views on this strimmer ?

I need a strimmer to trim grass paths at lottie and also a few nettles up by the fence would this one cut the mustard ? Any other recommendations welcome.

Liza

Buy McCulloch Trim Mac 250 SL Petrol Trimmer. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .
    You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

I hope you have a tame mechanic on hand, Liza. I ended up throwing mine away - it was only a few years old - sent away for repair the first time because it wouldn't start, when it came back I tried to use it and failed. In all the wrestling by various fellow lottie holders, I ended up with the fuel tank split and the machine was unrepairable.

I have ended up with an electric battery strimmer for the lightweight stuff, which to be honest was all my McCulloch was up to as well. Anything heavier you need a more expensive brushcutter. And the mechanic.
    Last edited by Jeanied; 18-09-2010, 08:05 AM.
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I found the petrol ones too heavy for me, so got this one from Argos Buy Bosch ART 23 Easytrim Accu Cordless Grass Trimmer. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . works well enough for me.

Comment

The first one looks similar to ours, but slightly more modern. Ours is about 7 years old now. It's had to have a new fuel-line fitted because it was leaking, and just generally servicing apart from that (new spark plug etc.) It is though, an absolute pain to get it started - I can't do it on my own and the OH takes about 15 mins to get it running properly. It does cope with an awful lot of strimming once it's running though - paths between beds on 2 allotments, round the sheds and both of the 'verges' alongside the path outside the allotment. Typically it's running non-stop for at least 2 hours.

So I guess it depends what you want it for. If it's just one strip of grass, I'd go for the battery option. If it's sustained running or even slightly rough stuff (nettles, thistles etc) I'd go for petrol but make sure you have someone to get it started, and know of a good lawn-mower repair shop

Comment

Most of the 'non-commercial' grade strimmers are not worth the money. You'd be better spending your dosh hiring a good one when you need it, or buying a decent pair of long handled lawn shears and a sharpener.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thank you ladies, your replies have been very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              You'd be better ... buying a decent pair of long handled lawn shears and a sharpener.
              I'd second that. I just use shears and I've trimmed my weeds before my neighbour's even got the petrol mower/strimmer started.

I used a petrol strimmer a few years ago: it was too heavy and too tall/long for me to handle with any efficiency
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                or buying a decent pair of long handled lawn shears and a sharpener.
                Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                I'd second that. I just use shears and I've trimmed my weeds before my neighbour's even got the petrol mower/strimmer started.

I used a petrol strimmer a few years ago: it was too heavy and too tall/long for me to handle with any efficiency
                It just so happens I have some lurking in the back of the garage

Well you all just saved me a load of dosh !

Thank you !

Comment

OH bought me some little sharpeners from QD or the Poundshop: jolly good they are too
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X