Zip Repairs any advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip Repairs any advice

Don't tell anyone but I have 2 of those walk in type plastic greenhouses and I have just managed to break the zip, I have tried to repair it but the zip slider is, well I will be polite but it sounds like Burgered if you remove the first r as the metal has stretched, as the cover is in good condition (reinforced plastic cover) I don't want to throw it away (plus I can't afford to replace it yet, I have the following options

1 remove the zip and use some sticktape velcro to fasten the door

2 buy a new zip and try my best to sew it or convince OH to show me how to use her sewing machine or bribe her to do it but as is over six ft long its going to be a pain

3 buy a Zip repair kit as its only the slider thats damaged (the metal has stretched so it keeps falling off) the trouble is the kits only appear to be for coil type metal zips and not nylon (plastic) like on my greenhouse

so have any of you tried to repair a zip before and was it successful?

I have a price for a replacement zip but really don't fancy emptying the greenhouse taking the cover off and risking a a rip + other damage

Does anyone know where I can get a suitable zip slider thats not going to cost me £10 to buy after P+P ?

I would be grateful for any advice you can give
    Neil
    Thought For The Day
    If a plum tomato breaks the law when it’s young
    Would it’s criminal past ketchup with it later?

Just a quick question The slider is made up of a metal shaped gadget that fits over the teeth, with a loop on the back of it which holds the puller tab. Which bit is broken?
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

It's The slider that is broken but the handle has fallen off too after all my attempts to repair it

the teeth and zip stoppers are not damaged in anyway
      Thought For The Day

Comment

How wide are the teeth? You need to measure the teeth from one side to the other, closed.
        I'm looking for a measurement of approx 6mm.
        Last edited by Jeanied; 03-05-2010, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Not sure if this is a stupid idea but can you take the slider off another broken zip and use that?
          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

That's what I was thinking Scarey - I could send Enrich all sorts of sliders but I need a rough size gauge!

Comment

Just a quick word of warning - stick on velcro is brilliant stuff BUT...... it doesn't stay stuck on when it gets hot, especially for something under slight tension like the cover.
              Replacing a zip is relatively easy if you know what you are doing, BUT taking the old one out without damaging the plastic is going to be a nuisance; and remember, if you are sewing it back in the same place (which you probably would have to since it needs to fit the frame,) then the holes already there will be weakened. A bit like extra perforation.

Comment

The best option is to replace the slider, Enrich. Now get measuring...

Comment

the zip is 6 mm across, I didn't even think of that, one of the repair kits I found was nearly £20 including p&P which for a bag of 8 sliders I thought was a bit expensive
                  Last edited by enrich100; 03-05-2010, 05:48 PM.
                  Thought For The Day

Comment

Oh, drat - I have loads of 6mm zips for the thin plastic loop type but none for the toothed ones like your photo.
                    You'd be better off getting a pair of trousers from the charity shop, Enrich - with a similar zip in them, then taking off the slider and using that. All you will need to to is to take off the bottom stop and once the new slider is in place, replace the bottom stop with staples or a big blob of glue.

Comment

Doesn't look broken to me!

Try Backpack/Rucksack type bags, or other cheap luggage bags. They usually have a similar kind of Zip.

Meanwhile, I'll have a think......
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                        Doesn't look broken to me!

Try Backpack/Rucksack type bags, or other cheap luggage bags. They usually have a similar kind of Zip.

Meanwhile, I'll have a think......
                        I knew someone would pick up on that as you already know its the other side thats broken I noticed all ou kids coats have the same zip but the OH has differet priorities to me as she won't let me take the zip off them
                        Thought For The Day

Comment

Down to the charity shop then, Enrich!

Comment

Give yourselves all a pat on the back I just went through the kids old clothes pile and sure enough I found 1 that fits so tommorow I will try and fit it
                            thanks for the advice
                            Last edited by enrich100; 03-05-2010, 06:28 PM.
                            Thought For The Day

Comment

If you still have the small peice in tact, put a strong paper-clip through the hole.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X