Perfect Spade

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect Spade

His Lordship has asked me to ask everyone what is the perfect spade (make, model, cc, colour, speed, fuel consumption... oh yes spades....) for planting grape vines (500 to plant you see)
    Thanks all
    H
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Any spade that he is comfortable with.

Personally, I prefer Stainless Steel for general gardening. But sometimes the cheaper ones are better because you can sharpen them if you need to (makes a huuuuuge difference in hard soil). I'd also suggest getting one with a bar across the top where your foot goes (Mr. G. welded one on to my old (non SS) work spade), otherwise it'll ruin your boots and give you a sore foot. Good luck with the search.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Bulldog carbon steel by the time you have planted all them grapes it will be as shiney as stainless

Comment

I would use one with a Honda engine on. and let that do the digging...jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

My neighbour bought one of these "spear & jackson e-series digging spade", I can't believe how comfortable it is, I'm forever nipping and pinching it off her , ya just stick ya foot in the middle not on the edge.

Comment

Think that this is the more recent version of my beloved spade - Wilkinson Sword Power Digging Spade 601570W: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, His Lordship can decide but Ginger's one looks more comfortable and posture wise better for the back...
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

I'd agree Hayley - wish I had had one of those when I was planting for a living. Shame you're just a little insy bit too far away, or I'd have volunteered to help

* Wipes brow - Phew!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

We have a spare bed.................
                  Hayley B

Comment

perfect spade

the best spade beyond any shadow of a doubt is a bulldog not the alan titchmarsh stainless stail the 36 inch shaft irish digging spade look for a grey one as opposed to green grey is construction and green garden there sharp, high quality solid forged thin blade which you want in a spade as it makes it easier to dig with lasts forever so easy to sharpen and rarely needs it

Comment

500 vines I think you'll need more than the one spade!!!
                      Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                      So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

If it's for 500 anything, I'd be using a bulb planter; assuming that the seedling would fit in the hole.

Anyhow - hopefully Hayley found a spade, seeing as this thread was several months ago....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X