Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Cookbook Recommendations

Hello Grapes!

I'd like to buy myself an Indian cookery book with some vouchers I got for my birthday.

I can already do maybe 10 dishes completely from scratch (inc. different currys, bhajis, naan breads) but want to expand my range...

Any recommendations/ideas?

Thanks
    OWG

I bought the Cinnamon Club cookbook a few years ago, and use it almost every week. Some excellent ideas, things to expand your range, some basics, lots of variety. Some really inspiring ideas for fish and vegetables, and the bestest lamb biryani evah.

My sis has lots of Indian food books, including Curry (also Vivek Singh), and she reckons this one is the best too.

The Cinnamon Club Cookbook: Amazon.co.uk: Iqbal Wahhab, Vivek Singh: Books
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

I can wholeheartedly recomment Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible. Every dish I've done out of it has come out really well, there is also alot of variety as she covers all the Indian regions.

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
        I can wholeheartedly recomment Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible. Every dish I've done out of it has come out really well, there is also alot of variety as she covers all the Indian regions.
        I've got that one too - it's now stained with all sorts of spices and looks properly used.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'd highly recommend "The Indian Kitchen" by Monisha Bharadwaj

I find the recipe's very easy to follow, its also a really good reference book, it tells you all about the spices that you use, were they come from, if they have a medical use and how to grow them...its a lot more than just a recipe book. £14.99 if you have a good look round you'll get it much cheaper, I payed £6 for my copy from the book people, but they don't stock it any more.

Alibris UK: As Good as New Used Books (New, Used, and Out-of-Print Books)

Comment

Remember the name Pat Chapman - founder of the Curry Club. He has written many books on the subject and if you're lucky enough to find any in print grab 'em!

I also like Floyd's India - but as he's my fave TV cook I admit bias - just a soupcon!

Recent purchase was Reza Mahammad - Rice, Spice and all things Nice - you may not know the name (yet) but he's had progs on the satellite channels (whilst I could get them) and he also features from time to time on GMTV and This Morning. He's the 'gay' Indian cook - perhaps that'll help identify him. He seems to offer lots of new ideas and is the son of a restaurant owner - where no doubt he learnt much of his early craft as a youngster.

But there are so many out there. May I suggest that you trawl end-of-aisle supermarket shelves where you often have an array of smaller books - some treasures to be found there. 2nd hand book and charity shops will often deliver those unique finds which will be the envy of your chums - not least the miniature price you will have paid.

Above all enjoy your culinary adventures into the sub-continent!
            Last edited by quark1; 02-02-2010, 02:18 PM.

Comment

If you are trying to lose weight, Slimming World do a Curry cookbook - Slimming World's Curry Feast: 120 mouth-watering Indian recipes to make at home: Amazon.co.uk: Slimming World: Books
              We've cooked a few from this and can highly recommend the Pork Vindaloo and Classic Chicken Curry.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X