No announcement yet.

Which Compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopped buying any peat based compost several years ago for obvious reasons but then struggled to find an decent replacement. Now buy New Horizon Organic Peat Free which seems to work pretty well. Costs more but I don't need too much and stops me feeling guilty too which is the biggest bonus.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by PAULW View Post
      NICK
      Are you sure it's still legal to use Bushels would'nt like to hear that you had been raided and carted away by the metric police.
      You have to have Bushels Paul, Hiding your light under 38.368 litres just doesn't sound right
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
        You have to have Bushels Paul, Hiding your light under 38.368 litres just doesn't sound right
        You never know Nick, could catch on, so snappy.................

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Stopped buying any peat based compost several years ago for obvious reasons but then struggled to find an decent replacement. Now buy New Horizon Organic Peat Free which seems to work pretty well. Costs more but I don't need too much and stops me feeling guilty too which is the biggest bonus.

Nice one, Alison. I realise this isn't an answer for all but you can buy 'Moorland Gold' peat oop your way (West Riding Organics, Huddersfield) - its peat dredged from reservoirs, not from destroying peat bogs. We sometimes buy a bag from Tamar Organics or HDRA but its expensive to be delivered.

Also sewer rat they're organic and sell other organic composts, don't know if they sell to trade or not though?

http://www.wrorganics.co.uk/
          Last edited by smallblueplanet; 21-01-2007, 07:19 PM.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Ooh, they sell blocking compost too! I've been looking for that for yonks! Nice one sbp
            SSx
            not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

err what is it SS?

Comment

American writers e.g. Eliot Coleman and John Jeavons recommend sowing and propagating into blocks as a way to save space, root damage, and effort. You make a solid block of compost, some 2cm square and some 4" square or more, from blocking compost that will hold its shape when damp.

The theory is that you sow seed in the smallest block appropriate for the seed, and pot on into the next size larger block when this is exhausted, a bit like a Russian doll. Blocks containing seedlings are placed on a wicking mat, slightly separated, and receive water or nutrients from the mat. When the seedling roots reach the edge of the block, i.e. light and air, they turn back naturally. So the theory (again) is that minimal root disturbance takes place during 'potting on; space required is used for the size of seed and stage of growth, and the blocks are square, saving space; and there are no pots to save, wash or dispose of. I believe that soil blocks are used in some methods of hydroponic growing?

Two years ago, I inherited sets of seed block makers, and haven't yet used them. Because I've never found the blocking compost, I haven't been able to experiment. Watch for requests for advice this season!

Harrod Horticultural have just started selling blocking kits this year.
                Last edited by supersprout; 21-01-2007, 08:52 PM.
                SSx
                not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Ahh I see - life's too short! ROFL!

Comment

Thanks Sbp
                    I have already looked at these sites too, and they are cost prohibitive - even more so when I have to get it delivered to the Highlands. Have found Sinclair offer best deal and they have an agent up here who is willing to do me a deal so I am sorted now - still scary prices if you have to buy a lot of it.
                    Rat

British by birth
                    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      I've been wanting to use Peat Free compost too, but found the branded stuff really quite pricey. However, last year I bought (from our local recycling centre) some 'Northamptonshire County Council Organic Garden Compost', which is 100% peat free and made from composted green garden waste. Dirt (forgive the pun) cheap at £10 for 5 bags, but I've absolutely no idea how good or bad it might be - it says for general garden use including potting and seeds on the back... I'm assuming the production method gets rid of any weed seeds and other nasties. Anyway, will let you know how I get on with it.
                      All at once I hear your voice
                      And time just slips away
                      Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Our council do some incentive thing where every time you take garden waste to the the recycling tip you get a voucher and when you get a certain number (3 I think) you can swap if for compost. Good idea but don't know what the quality is like and not much good for me as I put most of mine on the compost heap.

Comment

think my councils compost must be good went there twice last year and they never seem to have any lol going to make another try this weekend as i have these raised beds to fill.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X