X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiller advice please

Can anyone offer an opinion on this
    Coopers of Stortford

I need a lightwieght and cheap tiller/rotavator. My Dad has offered me his garden for maincrop spuds Downside is it hasnt been used for growing in about 8 years and its clay! Would really appreciate some advice on the best bit of kit to use.

cheers
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Must say it looks a little lightwieght. Can't imagine it being much good at tackling your clay soil. Added to that the problem of trailing an electric cable behind you could pose a problem.

Have you considered a petrol powered tiller? I know they're considerably more expensive but you might find a second hand one advertised somewhere.

I would reccomend the 'Mantis Tiller' it is pricey but it is a fantastic little workhorse.

Sorry that's not the answer you were probably looking for but it would be a shame to spend seventy odd quid on something not really capable of doing what you would be asking of it.
    Last edited by snuffer; 20-09-2009, 12:15 PM.
    It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

I would love a mantis Tiller but they are out of my price range. My Dad is absolutely insisting on paying for it and I want to stop him spending too much. Thanks for your input

Comment

no idea on tillers, but the shop above is in my home town!
        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

If you are passing could you take a look and see what the tiller is like? ie light and carpy and couldnt cut butter or vaguely useful? You can have your pick of my seed collection if you like

Comment

lol no need Fiona, I won't get a chance for about 2 weeks work sending me all over and I'm leaving home at 03:00 tomorrow morning, but if you can wait a week or two, I can have a look for you. If you need it sooner, PM me as there is another grapes name you could ask

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Comment

dont get one! lol....digging is good for you

steve, take care m8 xx
              Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

We have a Mantis and I used it for the first time yesterday (OH usually does it). I did about 5 minutes, then gave him it back and picked up my fork... It was ridiculously hard work, hurt my arms and my back, and didn't really even get a spade deep. I would imagine an electric one to be slightly less effective.
                My advice would be - don't waste your money! Use £50 to buy a huge lot of muck, and the other £25 to pay someone (#1 son?) to help you dig it. Cover the lot with the muck and leave it cloddy/mucky over winter. The frost and weather will break it down a bit, and you'll be able to plant in it in Spring.

Comment

Off to Coopers now, will look at it and let you know what I think.

Comment

I totally agree with SW - last year I freecycled my petrol 'cultivator' - it really didn't do the job below 6" and just chopped up weed roots and spread them about making sure I got bindweed and couch on every part of the plot. Then it broke its 'rudder' bar so it had no stabiliser - and all this was on good loam - can't imagine what it would be like on clay. I must have used it three or four times max before resorting to the garden fork and getting help in.
                    Last edited by Jeanied; 03-10-2009, 12:34 PM. Reason: oops - spelling
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I think having read all your wonderfull suggestions I will cover the plot in cardboard and muck. (Pay for horse muck Sarz??!!! Noooooooo) Then dig over in the spring for my spuds. Thats when I can get the motivation to do a 30 mile round trip to go do it

Oh and when I can persuade one of my lovely pair to come give me a hand to do it, cos I aint paying em 25 quid to help me, they want to eat the grub I grow, they help!

Thanks for the offer of help RT would still be interested to see what you think x
                      Last edited by FionaH; 03-10-2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

seems reasonable for the price Fiona. Let me know if you're coming through

Comment

Thanks for checking RT

Comment

pleasure, sorry that it took so long!their seeds were 1/2 price too, so got a few packets.....
                            Last edited by RedThorn; 03-10-2009, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X