New use for clocking in board

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New use for clocking in board

Today on freecycle I picked up what the offerer called/thought was an old clocking in board, but the few cards left in it, show it was used for setting out tasks for various members of the work force.

Not sure what it's really called, it has 12 columns and in each column, there are 32 metal slots for dropping in coloured card. 32 so that the first slot you can put the heading, as in the month's of the year. It's made of metal and measures 30" wide, 26" high. The T shaped cards are 3" long and 2" wide, I'll have to either find out where to buy new cards or cut out my own. The bottom of the 32 slots there is a 4" blank piece of metal, as behind that the cards slot/hang. At the very top and bottom, there is a 1" slot that goes across with a piece of see through plastic to hold whatever heading and footnote in place.

I picked it up as the 12 columns can be the seasons, and in each column I could list monthly tasks, sowings etc.

So I thought as previous threads folks have mentioned using cards, files etc for keeping seeds and noting tasks. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions of different ways of putting my new task board to good use. Also if anyone knows where I can check the price of the T-cards, would be handy. But to be honest it's the ideas of headings and making best use of the sections that I'm really interested in.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dottie; 25-08-2009, 09:40 PM. Reason: Attachment didn't attach.

So, a gardening diary, seed sowing record in slots. A bit like a advent calender (a slot or card to open) I get the picture.

If you start by marking up your 12 columns. And then a card for each chore or seed to be sown.

February: Chit potatoes = check, sow tomato seed = check

Have fun
    BumbleB

I have raked the soil and planted the seeds
    Now I've joined the army that fights the weeds.

Comment

The cards are in fact called 'T' cards and I think the board is called a 'T' board. This was the standard way of organisation pre computers. It had the advantage over computers that the system never 'went down' and if there was a power cut, it still worked
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

What a great idea! You could put tasks on it AND put the seed packets in the right month so you don't forget what to sow when.

I think I need one for my shed :-)
        Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

Originally posted by BumbleB View Post
          So, a gardening diary, seed sowing record in slots. A bit like a advent calender (a slot or card to open) I get the picture.

If you start by marking up your 12 columns. And then a card for each chore or seed to be sown.

February: Chit potatoes = check, sow tomato seed = check

Have fun
          Yep columns would be marked up Jan to Dec and then a T-Card under March might say PRUNE and when you pull the card out it would list plants to prune.

A different colour T-Card could say FERTILIZE, maybe a few fertilize cards under different months for different plants and/or a top up.

Ideas so far T-Cards:

SOW DIRECT
          SOW INDOORS
          SOW PROPAGATOR
          MULCH
          PRUNE
          FERTILIZE

Maybe cards giving date of season change: AUTUMN and when you pull it out 1st day 22/09/09

FROST a card in the month the first frost is expected and another card for when the last frost.

Comment

Originally posted by kentvegplot View Post
            What a great idea! You could put tasks on it AND put the seed packets in the right month so you don't forget what to sow when.

I think I need one for my shed :-)
            Prior to collecting my T-Card Planner I had thought of slotting seed packets in, but the slots are too small and I keep seeds in the fridge until ready to sow.

But sometimes it's easy to plant up batch up of something at the start of the season and forget that it can be sown for several months after. However under the SOW T-Card for each month I could list the same veg each month it can be planted. Although the reminders will probably come in handy more for things that you must sow within a set time frame like parsnips and leeks.

Might even be handy to have a BUY T-Card to remember to purchase things before they run out, or needing time for chitting etc.

Comment

You can buy T cards quite easily, we still use them at work for our Kanban ordering system. I think Staples sell them. I'll have a quick search on the web, back in a mo...

Comment

Amazon do them Nobo T-Cards 112x180mm Size 4 Light Green Ref 32938924 [Pack 100]: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

or Euro Office is who we buy them from for work

Comment

Thanks Pumpkin Becki, once I'd described on here that they were T-Cards I thought I have a look on the internet last night. And yep they were called exactly what they look like, but if I wanted a mixed batch of colours I'd have to pay £20 as that's 100 each of several colours, which is too many and too much money. The quantity that I'll be using will be easy enough to cut up, I'm sure I've got coloured card stashed away somewhere.

To be honest it's the ideas for what to put on the cards I'm interested in getting views on, as there must be lots of things that could be done but most of us don't know about or find out too late.

Thanks for checking out the internet and putting the link on.

Comment

If you can get white T cards, just use couloured highlighter pens along the top of the card, that would be cheaper (I think).
                    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
                      If you can get white T cards, just use couloured highlighter pens along the top of the card, that would be cheaper (I think).
                      Yeah a pack of 100 white sounds like a very good idea, well done you.

New sections:

Companion Plants
                      Crop Rotation

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X