No announcement yet.

Mason Ball/Kilner Jars & Replacement Discs/Lids

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using Kilner jars for nearly 40 years. It became almost impossible to replace the discs so for a number of years I have re-used my old ones.
    We had reached the stage that whenever we went on an outing, if the place we were going to looked a bit (dare I say it!) countryish or folksy, I would go into every possible shop and ask. Most of the time I was looked at blankly but if I did strike lucky I felt like I'd won the pools. How sad is that!! It got so desperate that the OH would also be looking out for likely shops.
    I do mine the lazy way I'm afraid. I just stew my fruit, simmer it for a good 5 minutes and then turn off the heat. While it is simmering I prepare the jars and discs.
    I used to put them in the oven on folded newspaper so that they didn't sit on the bars but the smell from the paper used to give me such a headache.
    Now I do them 4 jars at a time in the microwave. When the jar is hot to touch I empty the water out, pour in the stewed fruit and pop on the previously heated (in boiling water) disc.
    Screw on the band tightly and put to one side. When the lid makes a loud "popping" noise I know the seal has been made.
    To double check I unscrew the band completely once the jar is cool and then suspend the jar by holding it at the lid end. If it doesn't come off in my hand, it's sealed.
    I rarely have a failure with this method and it lasts from one season to the next.
    I know I should be doing the longer method for fail proof bottles but this works for me.
    I have also, when I got desperate for discs, re-used empty pasta jars. They are no good however for fruit as the spicy/pickly smell lingers.
    Jam jars will also work well. As long as the jar is warm - hot before the hot item is poured in then it is unlikely to crack. If the lids are heated in boiling water then a vacuum is produced as the item cools.
    Just take great care when handling any of these items. They will burn/scald you if you are inattentive.
    Since there is now a big trend toward self sufficiency I had been hoping Lakeland or somebody would re-introduce the discs, so thank you all for the info.
    It's like wool shops isn't it.
    I knitted for years and all of a sudden it seemed, knitting was fuddy duddy and old fashioned and clothing was cheaper to buy. Since the photos of celebrity actresses knitting between takes was published there has been a marked increase in interest and I notice that there are now more local outlets for yarns.
    I now try to make a point of including my 8 year old grandaughter in all my food processing.
    She doesn't touch any of the hot stuff but loves to write down what I'm doing and when she opens the cupboard and sees the jars of different coloured fruits and jams she thinks it's wonderful.
    I am hoping that when I pop my clogs she will be old enough to inherit my jars!!
    Last edited by Sanjo; 14-08-2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

preserving > Jars - Kilner Style > Leifheit Metal Discs

Kilner Jars and Parts

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Gosh! Wares are a bit out of touch - £8.00 for 12 The second link is good though, only £3.10 for 12, and sensible postage costs too Thanks Alison

Comment

Haven't used kilner jars for years, mainly because we started freezing stuff. Usually when we make jams and chutneys we just reuse jam jars. However this year I have gone back to the old method of salting runner beans as I'm not keen on home frozen ones. May reinvest in a few though as I have been trying a few new things this year, like pickled courgette and dried tomatoes in oil.

Ian

Comment

I am really impressed with Ascott - I placed an order last Friday morning, got a tracking number from Parcelforce Friday lunchtime and received my jars on Monday morning. Great service!

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
              Gosh! Wares are a bit out of touch - £8.00 for 12 The second link is good though, only £3.10 for 12, and sensible postage costs too Thanks Alison
              Ooooo, not looked at the price at Wares and I've never bought any off them but a couple of years ago, got some very reasonably priced jars off them so had assumed they'd be OK for lids too

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have a variety of preserving jars - usually bought in panic because of a large glut of pears or other fruit and not enough empty jars to use. They range from Le Parfait (clip tops and large rubber rings) to Bormio and Leifhart with Kilner Dual Purpose and the later Kilner Orange Top which requires rubber seals and were never as successful as the Dual Purpose Jars.

I find that the cost of replacement seals for Le Parfait jars is so high in the U.K. that I have bought seals when I have been on holiday in France and Bormio (Quattro Staggione) lids in Italy. The cost of the metal lids for Kilner jars is very expensive in the U.K. and the last lot of lids which I have just about finished were bought on spec in America when I was on holiday and saw the Ball Wide Mouth Dome Lids for a cost of under £1 for 12 and thought that they would fit the Dual Purpose jars and bought 4 dozen. I then found that they could also be used for the Kilner Jars with the orange screw lids and of course fitted the Leifhart and Bormio jars as well but have been horrified at the cost of them at £8 for 12 especially when they can be bought for between $2.39 and $4.49 in the U.S. Why are they so expensive here? and why when new Kilner jars are being manufactured are the lids etc. a different size?

I'm contacting a relation in America to see if they can get me a further supply.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X