Trug

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
    I need one for my bike.....how miffed would I be if a gold plated hand made wooded carved trug slipped off on the unadopted ridiculously bumpy not ashphalted in decades road that my lottie is on and smashed to smithereens.

I buy lots of hand made and antique items, and at good prices; please do not assume because I bought 1 plastic trug [and you rant was aimed at me for suggesting it] that i wish destruction upon the handicrafters of this country. I collect antique furniture and old japanese ceramics, just because I can.

Price is not an issue for moi, I am a higher tax payer and a Director of a small but perfectly formed company.

Please desist from ranting and making assumptions based on one post in one thread. I have just spent [since January] over £16,000 on a wall made from hand made bricks, reclaimed coping stones and lime mortar - all to preserve the integrity of the conservation area that I live in [we could have just put a fence up]; a hand made timber framed garden room [we could have got a large shed] and a hand made timber greenhouse [again, could have got aluminium one from B&Q].
    Hey Zaz
    this was not aimed at you at all. I certainly would not use a valuable trug on a lottie and I do not use them in my trade as a gardener (I use the bright plastic tubs with handles)

It was a general at the way as someone else mentioned if it was that price (I think £40 ish ) It must be gold plated, I was trying to point out that hand made quality does not come cheap.

As you have no doubt found out with your building work and greenhouse. (I bet they would last 10 times longer than an aluminium one!)

Sorry if it offended, it certainly wasn't meant to (seems to be a habit of mine on this site - I think I will take a break from it.

Chick
    http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
      And they will laugh and laugh fruit and veg comes in cardboard boxes these days. Some mushrooms come in blue plastic trays.

if you are lucky some spanish oranges come in balsa trays.

If you want proper wooden crates you need to buy them from
      Please enable your cookies

and not cheap.
      Thanks! You're not wrong! The prices for a wooden box! Agree - fruit delivered to markets are usually in cardboard boxes - even mushrooms come in large blue plastic crates these days instead of the card baskets with aluminium handles (used to see these at parents take-away).

There is no doubt that a hand-made wooden trug is an example of fine craft-manship but still, people part with cash for items they perceive as value for money. If a trug is strapped to back of a bike being bumped around - I too would get a cheap but sturdy plastic one as I'd be mortified if it slipped off and was damaged in its fall.
      If I saw a sturdy, solid wooden trug at a car-boot or jumble sale I would purchase it without a hesitation, but I can't justify the price for a brand-new one (yet! Am battling the demons in my head!).

Think I will just have to make my own wooden tray with handle and make do!

Comment

Originally posted by digthatchick View Post
        Hey Zaz
        this was not aimed at you at all. I certainly would not use a valuable trug on a lottie and I do not use them in my trade as a gardener (I use the bright plastic tubs with handles)

It was a general at the way as someone else mentioned if it was that price (I think £40 ish ) It must be gold plated, I was trying to point out that hand made quality does not come cheap.

As you have no doubt found out with your building work and greenhouse. (I bet they would last 10 times longer than an aluminium one!)

Sorry if it offended, it certainly wasn't meant to (seems to be a habit of mine on this site - I think I will take a break from it.

Chick
        No problem, I am afraid that I get a tad annoyed when anyone on here accuses others of not caring about society because they eat crisps [or other such comments]. Sometimes cheap tat is what is needed and sometimes more expensive hand made quality items are more appropriate.

Comment

Please desist from ranting and making assumptions based on one post in one thread. I have just spent [since January] over £16,000 on a wall made from hand made bricks, reclaimed coping stones and lime mortar - all to preserve the integrity of the conservation area that I live in [we could have just put a fence up]; a hand made timber framed garden room [we could have got a large shed] and a hand made timber greenhouse [again, could have got aluminium one from B&Q].
          Right Garden Party at ZAZENs house to view the wall and greenhouse
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

No problem, I am afraid that I get a tad annoyed when anyone on here accuses others of not caring about society because they eat crisps [or other such comments]. Sometimes cheap tat is what is needed and sometimes more expensive hand made quality items are more appropriate.
            Funnily enough I found another bit of the post odd in that I didn't get the logic of how using really old tools was supporting traditional crafts. It's a bit like the everlasting match, if something lasts forever then you don't need to buy any more and the seller goes out of business.

PS - I do have loads of things I've inherited from older members of the family and I cherish them for being good pieces of workmanship as well as a reminder of the original owner but then again I'm very sentimental about things like that and it's important to me to look after these things which seems unusual amongst some of my friends

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Funnily enough I found another bit of the post odd in that I didn't get the logic of how using really old tools was supporting traditional crafts. It's a bit like the everlasting match, if something lasts forever then you don't need to buy any more and the seller goes out of business.

PS - I do have loads of things I've inherited from older members of the family and I cherish them for being good pieces of workmanship as well as a reminder of the original owner but then again I'm very sentimental about things like that and it's important to me to look after these things which seems unusual amongst some of my friends
              My fave spade is my OH's ex wife's dad's old spade; but I bought cheap tat spades and a fork for the lottie from Wilko....and it turned out that the wilko one was well-made and had a really good angle on it which really helps me digging [as I have a dodgy elbow]. I wanted cheap tat in case we are ever burgled.

Comment

My fave spade is my OH's ex wife's dad's old spade; but I bought cheap tat spades and a fork for the lottie from Wilko....and it turned out that the wilko one was well-made and had a really good angle on it which really helps me digging [as I have a dodgy elbow]. I wanted cheap tat in case we are ever burgled.
                There's no way I'd risk leaving my old sentimental tools up the lottie, although they do get to visit on a day trip basis. The ones that are left up there are a mix of cheapo stuff or things I've aquired cheap / free from somebody who no longer wants them but to whom I have no particular attatchment. One of my fave tools is an old dibber which we found in my grandad's shed after he died. The handle was broken so by brother turned one out of a piece of wood we also found at the house. Would be devastated if I lost it.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X