Which Cat Scarer to buy.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
    I just crush garlic mix with water and spray that. If you have bare soil consider laying chicken wire on it.
    Apparently its all about breaking the cats habit. Garlic has always worked for me and is totally harmless to both cats and dogs.
    Actually garlic (and any alliums) is very bad for cats but hopefully it's the smell that's putting them off rather than them ingesting it. I've just googled it and note that it's also very bad for dogs - Garlic Toxicity and Pets

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I came across a recommendation for a plant called scaredy cat, in the mint family, which is said to deter cats, as does citrous smells. The RSPCA mention it too. My concern would be that it might be invasive. But you don't have to change the batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by ButternutSquash View Post
        I came across a recommendation for a plant called scaredy cat, in the mint family, which is said to deter cats, as does citrous smells. The RSPCA mention it too. My concern would be that it might be invasive. But you don't have to change the batteries.
        It's a coleus and is not winter hardy so must be grown as an annual, curiously it has a very strong marajuana like smell so drive home carefully from the garden centre in case you get stopped by the rozzers and no it's not invasive

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum
        don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
        remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I've got news for you. Nothing works. Not meaning to be funny, but cats are cats and thats it.
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 02-08-2014, 09:41 PM.

Comment

We find the pile of builder's sand is used by most of the feral cats here

Ah well...if it keeps them off the veg patch....
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have one of the Scare crow things mentioned on the 1st page and it works great, even though the battery ran out months ago so I disconnected it cats still seem to avoid my garden.

Comment

I have a sonic unit, it comes on four legs and make an ear piercing noise whenever a cat approaches. Its called a Jack Russell.
                photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I have (had) about 10 cats using my garden. In the parts where I have seeds I cover with wire cloches.

Any other spare ground I just cover with netting. There are no birds that come in the garden so I know they wont get harmed.

Another person who lives opposite me has bought a solar animal chaser. I will ask him if he has had any success with it
                  Last edited by SP1965; 10-08-2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I've found the best way to keep cats out the garden is a mix of sonic cat deterrents, plants that keep cats away (thyme, lavender and of course Coleus). But move the sonic around every few days else the buggers will get use to them

Comment

I've tried pretty much everything. Cats poo on my lawn, which I can't tolerate with two young kids wanting to play outside a all the time so u bought a contech scarecrow. Expensive, but works.

It's connected to a hose, and detects movement and activates a spray.

Since I've had it, almost a month now - no cat poo.

It also drenched the wife today, so I'm well chuffed. Kids think it's a toy mind

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Ha, I love that! I'm not troubled by cats, I get a few but I wouldn't know what damage they'd caused compared to the trampled flower beds and ball damage after the boys have been in the garden with their mates...I may get one

Comment

A while ago i was given a large hard plastic frog,it gives 3 croaks when anything passes it,we get cats and pigeon,laste week saw the first of my new home beds prepped,so the frog was places in the vacinity,we not seen a cat yet,but MRLD saw some birds go to land,then flew off,very quick smart,it seems to work within aprox or so feet,so any garden toy that makes a noise should work,
                          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I got some cheap bamboo canes from poundland and cut them into six inch lengths. Whenever I plant out something new I poke them into the ground maybe six inches apart for a few weeks. This stops my lovely cat from scratching around and digging up.

The cat prefers loose soil so once the plants are settled in and growing the canes get moved to the next thing.

At the moment the canes are where I planted my crocuses a week or two back. Meanwhile the cat is doing her business in the mulch around the herbaceous plants where she doesn't do much damage.
                            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Thorn bushes of chicken wire, in othet words you need to baricade your garden. I have had a cat for the last 12 years and believe me, nothing works. My garden always looks so untidy thanks to all ttying to stay one step ahead of "The Cat".

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X