Solar panel use

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar panel use

Hi, I have been using a solar panel to charge my 12volt battery. I think the battery is not holding its charge properly and am considering changing it. It rune though a controller. i have been offered a tractor battery free of and was wondering if the solar panel would charge the tractor battery alright. I imagine it would take longer for the battery to charge as the small battery is 80ap and the tractor battery is 130ap. Any advice on this would be most welcome as I am not to sure of electricity items. Thanks to all.

I've just been to check with Mr Snoop. He says the main issue will be how many volts the tractor battery is, not the amp hours. Your small battery is likely to be 12 V but the tractor battery will almost certainly be 24 V. If this is the case, then you will need to look at your charge regulator (controller) to see if you can change it from 12 to 24 V. If you can't, you will need to buy the appropriate charge regulator.

If the tractor battery is the same voltage as your small battery, you won't need to do anything.

If you're proposing to add more solar panels to speed up the charging process, this may mean that you need a bigger charge regulator.

Comment

HI and Thanks snoop puss for the information. I double checked and was told it was an ex boat battery and is a 12volt. He is a friend and he going to fully charge the battery before letting me have it. That said I will check my regulator aswell. Thanks

Comment

Sounds like you're on to a winner there. Congratulations.

Comment

Sure, switching to a tractor battery should work with your solar setup, but as you guessed, it will take longer to charge due to the higher capacity (130Ah vs. 80Ah). Just make sure your controller can handle the larger capacity and that the voltage requirements match. It's always good to check that the specifications of your solar panel system align with the battery you're considering. I follow a lot of websites and pages that keep me updated with everything regarding this subject.
          Last edited by Snoop Puss; 10-02-2024, 09:55 AM. Reason: Edited to remove link.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X