Clean hands

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean hands

Wasn’t sure which bit of the forum to put this. Was wondering how people if have any tips for cleaning hands after gardening. I find that even with gloves on, my hands get really dry and rough and I end up with ingrained dirt that I struggle to get off with nail brush and soap. Any tips?

I saw on beechgrove Mairi uses lemon juice and sugar. The sugar exfoliates and both nourish the skin.
    I havnt tried it yet, I use brush and soap. Though I do try to remember to wear gloves.
    Northern England.

Comment

When mine are really rough and dirty and a normal hand wash doesn't work I mix up a small dollop of coconut oil with some granulated sugar, it works like a dream. You can use any kind of oil. I don't add lemon as I am usually scratched too and that stings!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Sugar nad washing up liquid for me. I never wear gloves unless working with nettles or thorny bushes. I like to get my mitts into the soil!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have a metal nail file which I gently rub over the worst bits ...Then add hand cream before I go to bed if it’s really bad.

Shea butter (or foot cream ) seems to help me best.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

The work tends to harden my skin enough that I can take a thin layer off with a small powered rotary sander and at the same time trim my nails with it while I am at it. It is brilliant for hard skin on my feet too.
            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

The bits of ingrained staining that doesn’t come off with a nail brush scrubbing,just stays on my hands,I don’t know how to get it off,I’m not sanding my hands Dead Sea bath salts are good to soak in the bath.

Comment

Eh no think I’ll hold off sanding my hands. Sounds like granulated sugar and oil or washing up liquid is worth a try. Thanks all

Comment

The sanding is mostly for bits of hard skin on feet.
                  Some tap root weeds produce sap that stains quite strongly.
                  Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I read years ago that it helps if you rub hand cream on before putting on your gloves its supposed to make cleaning them after easier. Since lockdown, hand washing and sanitizer I've been getting through a fair bit of hand cream.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

When I remember I put barrier cream on my hands before I start. The one I have is called Dermaguard. Similar to the handcream suggestion I think. Stops the dirt getting quite so ingrained.
                      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I use Fairy liquid a brush and sand paper
                        Bearn, Pyrenees Atlantique France

Comment

I wipe my hands on my trousers..............................SWMBO is so impressed as it's usually when I'm wearing a decent pair of trousers rather than old ones designated for fishing and rolling round in the muck.

Comment

I use a loofah with hand soap.
                            Then Aloe Vera hand cream.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I think I have just given up these days. I hate hats and gloves of any kind (my mother used to make me wear them as a child) so it is very rare the gardenning gloves make an appearance. I do, on rare occasions remember to put some moisturiser on. My sister used to keep buying me posh hand cream as presents (big hint I presume). I generally just scrub them in the kitchen sink with soap and a nail brush.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X