Solar powered water feature?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar powered water feature?

I've always fancied a small water feature, with the sound of splashing water. Never could get around to putting together a traditional electrically powered one. I keep seeing the 'all-in-one' solar powered ones and think, well they might be a bit of fun. But maybe I should get a solar powered pump and put together a water reservoir fountain type thing rather than a kit?

Anyone any recommendations or just good ideas? Ta.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

I’ve been thinking about getting one too!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      I’ve been thinking about getting one too!
      I'm considering whether the excitement might be too much for me!

I expect you'll get more sunshine where you are. Lots of reviews for the kit water features talk about how a slight cloudiness is enough to stop them. I had a look at pumps and it seems you can get them with batteries - so basically (I think) the panel charges the battery so if cloudy or at night the pump keeps going.

I've some garden centre vouchers to spend so will have a mooch around them. I think I'll hate the cheap resin kit ones...but can I be bothered to put a feature together? Hmmm. I've actually got a cast stone gargoyle with pipe at the back...
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 03-04-2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I bought a pondmax pump kit several years ago and have been really pleased with it. Battery backup is a bit over-rated except in summer as it needs a while to charge although they may be better now as I am sure there are newer models.

They do a selection of water flow/head height/power combinations depending on what you want it for. Water in mine falls into a small pond.
        East Berkshire

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments.

Comment

I had one of these from Primrose, cost a bit less than this. I absolutely loved it.

https://www.ukwaterfeatures.com/prod...r-feature.html

The pump lasted about three summers before it packed up. It's now got compost in it and I usually put nasturtiums in it.

The slightest cloud across the sun stopped the water moving. You also had to be careful not to leave it on when you weren't there, as the water evaporates, and I think you'd burn out the motor.

It was really nice though.

New garden, came with electricity there already, so I now have an electric water fountain.
          Last edited by Babru; 03-04-2021, 04:49 PM.
          Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Thanks for the info so far.

Has anyone got lights with theirs?! I see lots of the new pumps have some sort of led lights.

Comment

Mine has led lights but can't help with any info as I have never used them, sorry.
              East Berkshire

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X