Pop up gazebo.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop up gazebo.

My husband is fancying a gazebo to put up outside the shed door for when it is hot to give shade to sit/work under. As it will only be erected on hot days and I really don't want it to get stolen from the allotment I wondered if any of you had experience of them. How long do they take to erect/dismantle? Do they let rain through? I don't particularly want sides to it, just shade. Any recommendations?

I can't recommend one but I spent hours researching for something 5x3.5 for when I do outdoor summer fairs and my seedswap.

Small ones start from about £40 depending on the size.
    What I needed was something quick to put up and dismantle after a tiring day.

What stood out were telescopic legs which click in place with a button ( bit like metal walking sticks)
    That the top concertinas closed by walking the legs to the central point
    The cover Velcros on
    The legs aren't too flimsy (so they dont buckle with a sudden gust of wind.)
    That it either comes with guy ropes or there is somewhere to attatchment string to because it always gets windier than you expect
    There is an air vent at the top so it doesn't take off like a kite!

You then have options like sides, UV blocking or waterproof material....

The less pieces involved and the more Velcro makes everything much quicker!

All these features add to the cost... but worth considering what is important for your needs.

I'll be interested to see what you choose cos I wouldn't mind getting a smaller one I can move around the garden so I can weed out of direct sunlight( UV 9!!!!)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Argos have one for £40 at the moment. Needs 2 people to put it up and 3 or 4 makes it even easier!

Comment

Brought a cheap one 10 years ago. Needed two people to out it up and it let the rain in.

Comment

Are thee any that can be erected by one person? Quickly!

Comment

Like Nicos I went for a proper pop up for some concert promotions I did back in the day. 3x3 M.
            The whole frame stays as one so is heavy, get a trolly if you need to move it about far/a lot.

Open it part way, pop the cover over (because as you open it more the cenre pole pushes up and it gets a bit tall to get the cover over). Then open it fully and attach the top properly. Finally pull out each of the legs and select the final height.

It can be done by one person (easier with two or more). It's fairly stable in a breeze. there are guy ropes if needed.

I've use mine lots to the point where the nylon bag it came in is worn through. Some 15+ years later there is one cracked plastic leg adjuster, but it still works. It wasn't cheap but has continued to be used for all kinds of things every year.
            It's no longer waterproof, but a spray coat would redo that if I thought it important.

It last covered the front lawn for VE day celebrations.

Buy once and cry once as they say.
            Last edited by ESBkevin; 30-06-2020, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Had you thought of trying to get hold of an old large parasol? That might just do the trick if all else fails????

Comment

You can do the pop up ones on your own but you'll be frustrated and sweating by the end of it if you're anything at all like me! Parasol is a good shout!

Comment

We did have an old parasol. Free of course. But it, many years later, has died. Of course if we buy a gazebo Summer will end abruptly. The year I bought lots of factor god knows what sunscreen after early promise the same happened. My husband has now gone off the idea and I (the sensible one) will buy one in the end of Summer sales unless we suddenly get a high Summer temperature peak that lasts more than 2 or 3 days. I would really like something that could be easily erected by a single person quickly. If there isn't one available please somebody invent one.

Comment

Just an update. My husband hasn't mentioned a gazebo again due to the change in the weather but yesterday he asked me if I knew what was in the big white bag in the back of one of his sheds. No idea there was a big white bag there let alone it's contents. He really is a hoarder.
                    Well today he had a look. A brand new gazebo (unfortunately he doesn't think it's a pop-up one). It must have been there 2 or 3 years. He thinks he bought it in an end of Summer sale. His memory isn't his strong point.

Comment

How exciting!...it'll be interesting to have it at home if it's not a pop up one?

I was thinking ...as you do whilst chatting to oneself whilst pottering around the garden........

Have you thought of buying a groundsheet with those eyes at each corner.
                      Then attatch one side (using the eyes) to the shed ( possibly hooks) then attaching the other 2corners to some sort of wooden/metal posts set into the ground. Those posts might need some thinking about.....not quite sure how you could bash them into the ground-could someone help you do that?

But in effect it's an awning attatched one side to the shed and the other 2corners propped up on posts.
                      I'm sure you could rig up some attachments to the posts using some rope and D clips ????

However...now I've written all that out, you'll probably find the new tent perfect for the job!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        How exciting!...it'll be interesting to have it at home if it's not a pop up one?

I was thinking ...as you do whilst chatting to oneself whilst pottering around the garden........

Have you thought of buying a groundsheet with those eyes at each corner.
                        Then attatch one side (using the eyes) to the shed ( possibly hooks) then attaching the other 2corners to some sort of wooden/metal posts set into the ground. Those posts might need some thinking about.....not quite sure how you could bash them into the ground-could someone help you do that?

But in effect it's an awning attatched one side to the shed and the other 2corners propped up on posts.
                        I'm sure you could rig up some attachments to the posts using some rope and D clips ????

However...now I've written all that out, you'll probably find the new tent perfect for the job!
                        Or we won't get any more Summer weather........

Comment

Ha ha ha ha!!!!!...BUT!....if that's the case , it'll also act as a brolly ????

Comment

I had one of those clip together cheap gazebos. Once it broke (inevitable) I salvaged the steel poles and they now reside in the allotment shed. The sides I re-used with my proper pop up when I needed them. They have proven to be handy now and again.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X