Recommendations for strimmer blade

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for strimmer blade

We have a Ryobi RBC1226I Electric Brush Cutter strimmer that comes with an arc metal blade.

We have a large field with wild grass, and the arc blade gets the job done but it’s slow going and it’s not a clean cut.

Any recommendations on a sharp blade attachment that’ll cut the grass cleaner? Would rather not use the nylon cord if I can avoid it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	37F5F316-D850-45BB-ACBE-E8A23A46D63A.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	628.0 KB
ID:	2496380Click image for larger version

Name:	685DBB5E-FC6C-45B5-9C4C-996EDA162F89.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	693.2 KB
ID:	2496381
    Our DIY and sustainability journey: My Home Farm

The blade looks the same as the Dewalt one, so I guess they are all similar, you have to make sure it's the right size mounting hole and outside diameter, if the fit is poor the vibration can be a nightmare.

Comment

I can't help, I just love looking at your photos!
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

A clean cut needs high speed and looking at your photos, it's kinda obvious to me that no electric strimmer will be able to cope with that. Even my industrial Stihl petrol machine would be hard worked in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
          A clean cut needs high speed and looking at your photos, it's kinda obvious to me that no electric strimmer will be able to cope with that. Even my industrial Stihl petrol machine would be hard worked in that.
          It does get the job done, as it’s 1200W and I feel it’s definitely up to the task - it’s just that the blade isn’t sharp (it’s a blunt brush cutter) and it tears the grass rather than cutting it cleanly.

It seems no one sells a sharp blade. Maybe I should sharpen ours.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9DD7A56F-C78C-4377-94BC-646EF8908DD9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	569.2 KB ID:	2496469
          Last edited by mhrfm; 23-05-2020, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
            The blade looks the same as the Dewalt one, so I guess they are all similar, you have to make sure it's the right size mounting hole and outside diameter, if the fit is poor the vibration can be a nightmare.
            Completely agree.

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
              I can't help, I just love looking at your photos!
              You’re too kind. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mhrfm View Post

It seems no one sells a sharp blade. Maybe I should sharpen ours.

[
                If you do sharpen it, be aware you must do each segment equally or the dynamic balance will be upset and the vibration problem rears it's head again, industrial white finger is not something you would want.

Comment

Ride on mower instead?

Comment

Why not use the cord cartridge? That’s what they’re designed for... the solid blades are meant to pulverise dry woody material, not cut grass?
                    He-Pep!

Comment

Originally posted by Stan79 View Post
                      Ride on mower instead?
                      It would be too invasive for the toads and other wildlife - we don’t want to destroy their habitat.

Comment

We use a cord with a metal line inside it...it does an amazing job.

You have a really lovely garden!
                        Its great to see what you are doing with it -it must feel very rewarding?
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by mhrfm View Post

It would be too invasive for the toads and other wildlife - we don’t want to destroy their habitat.
                          Ride on mower for paths... and leave the rest to grow if you’re worried about habitat.

Comment

I would plant a wild flower meadow and mow a path through. Would look great.

Kind Regards..........Rob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X