Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) lamps any good?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) lamps any good?

Has anyone tried these? I see Argos are now selling one for around £35. If they really work I will buy one. I hate the winter and really suffer from the long dark days (specially as I work fulltime in artificial lighting)

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
    I .... really suffer from the long dark days (specially as I work fulltime in artificial lighting)
    Aren't they just more artificial lighting?
    There's nothing to beat getting out in the open (fresh) air ... perhaps the fresh air is more important than the light? I don't know.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

They are akin to sunlamps, without the cancer risk, cos you are not tanning, its artificial sunlight which supplies the vitiman D we absorb through our skin during the sunnier days, its the lack of this vitamin along with the genetic instinct to hibernate during the darker months, ie: slowing down of metabalism, that contributes to SAD, and some people get it worse than others, I would happily spend all winter in bed, get sleepy very easily, and can get very depressed if we have too many days without sunlight.

they are supposed to work, I think its something like 3 times 10 minutes a day or something, but don't quote me on that.

I do agree though that getting out in the fresh air on brighter days is better for you. First break in the clouds and I go for a walk to get my 'dose'.
      Last edited by BrideXIII; 24-10-2008, 06:47 PM.
      Vive Le Revolution!!!
      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I agree with Two sheds get out as much as you can even if its cold and raining I'm lucky I work out side. I set of to work today in the dark and came home in the dark but I deliver shopping so I'm out side not stuck in an office or shop I think I'd go mad stuck in all day
        Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
        Dobby

Comment

i love this time of year , fresh mornings and lots of digging to be getting on with
          http://newplot.blogspot.com/

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

i would be inclined to try a daylight bulb before spending a fortune daylight bulb, Home Garden, Photography, Health Beauty items at low prices on eBay.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
              i would be inclined to try a daylight bulb before spending a fortune daylight bulb, Home Garden, Photography, Health Beauty items at low prices on eBay.co.uk
              also try the local wool/sewing shop

thats where i get mine from for needlework.pretty sure I have seen them in tescos too.
              Vive Le Revolution!!!
              'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
              Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I can see though, that it's a problem for people working all day - sometimes under poor artificial lighting - in the winter. You can't actually get outside in the daytime. I'd be intersted in this - Himself struggles with the winter for the same reason.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I do get out as much as I can, whatever the weather. Just wondered whether anyone has tried these lamps, and if so did they help?

Comment

There's a thread on this link that pretty much says "no, don't waste your money". Have a look: Do mood/SAD lights work and are they worth the money?
                    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 26-10-2008, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I bought 2 Eudemon lights (Ionizer - Anion, Bulbs)

Theyre sposed to give out daylight spectrumy stuff and ionize the air ??

I hung one by my desk and it made me really itchy !! (could be 'Seasonally Affected Paranoia' tho !)

I still have one boxed if you fancy a go (to confirm my SAP)

IM me if interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                        I can see though, that it's a problem for people working all day - sometimes under poor artificial lighting - in the winter. You can't actually get outside in the daytime. I'd be intersted in this - Himself struggles with the winter for the same reason.
                        You haven't locked him away for the Winter have you Flum???

PS I work outside but I'm still pretty SAD!
                        Last edited by Snadger; 26-10-2008, 10:41 AM.
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

No, Snadge - he's out today and yesterday with students on field work. Even if I locked him away I'd still have to feed him - he might as well be out from under me feet!
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi i suffer from SAD, but i dont use the lamps because they give me headaches, You can request to try one via the doctors. I do use day light bulbs in my house and they do make me feel a little better.
                            I do try and get as much sunlight as possible when its around.

xx aud
                            http://www.paintingsussex.co.uk

Comment

That's a thought ... get some of those blue daylight bulbs that embroiderers use for close work

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X