Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squash seed supplier recommendation please

Hi folks

I fell for the previous thread about "The Compleate Squash Book" and now have massively over-ambitious thoughts about filling the plot with lovely squash.

Anyone know any really nice websites for buying squash seed from?

I've already got a few:
    - Butternut Hunter
    - Harrier
    - Moonbeam
    - Pattison Orange (Patti Pan)
    - Thelma Sanders Sweet Potato
    - Uckiki Kuri

and some courgettes:
    - de Nice a Fruit Rond
    - Goldrush
    - Tromboncino Albenga
    - Zuboda

But hey! why stop at less than a dozen of any veggie? (apart from space of course, but I'm planning on growing them over the edge of the raised beds and letting them romp along the paths - hopefully they'll be OK)

Any recommendations gratefully received
    Last edited by T-lady; 26-03-2008, 12:49 PM.
    Cheers

T-lady

Have you checked out Ebay? Some sellers on there sell unusual seeds.
    Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Real Seeds have some more unusual ones:

Great Vegetable Seeds from The Real Seed Catalogue
      I was feeling part of the scenery
      I walked right out of the machinery
      My heart going boom boom boom
      "Hey" he said "Grab your things
      I've come to take you home."

Comment

Here's a link posted by veg4681 - if she's bought some from there, maybe she's got some to swop? I think momol likes to grow squash too (and Seahorse - edit: oops she heard me?!!!), they might have swops?

Uncle Bob seeds - Bobby Seeds online shop

and if you can read French (I just look at the pictures! ) Cucurbit World!

Le monde des Cucurbitacées
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 26-03-2008, 01:23 PM.
        To see a world in a grain of sand
        And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Blimey! Your plot must be enormous!!!

I grew two plants of 'Pumpkin Becki' last year. The plants were nearly 2 metres long in places, but only got two pumpkins from them (disappointing).

This year I am trying 'Crown Prince' squash from Sutton Seeds (Suttons Seeds: Flower seeds, vegetable seeds, flower plants, garden plants, vegetable plants)

Best of luck

Comment

Don't forget lots of squash will grow 'up' and 'along' - we saw lots of varieties being grown along people's fences (of the diamond-shaped wooden trellis type) in the Czech Republic, they looked great.

Comment

Don't members of the squash family cross pollinate and produce 'strange' fruits..?
              Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

I dont know seasprout.........I grow my squashes up a trellis with supports, that way I have plenty of room
                Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

POD have a good selection
                  Plants of Distinction Online Catalog

Comment

Hi T-Lady,

The Uncle Bob has very wide selection (it is in German but has english translations), you could also go for Baker Creek too: Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1200 Heirloom Garden Seeds in our Heritage Seed Catalog, Historic Gardening Shows and Plant Festivals
                    Or Vreken (but this one is in Dutch) :https://www.vreeken.nl/2007/index128...hp?urloptions=

I have ordered from all 3 seeds company before and they are reliable.

You can grow more than 1 same species squash but to save seeds, you will have to hand pollinate them . Good luck with your squash hunting ... it is addicting isn't it .
                    I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Hi folks

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions - I'm a particular convert to Uncle Bob and Baker Creek (although I'm still a bit nervous of American seed companies following my right royal rogering by the Roguelands bunch of thieves!).

allotmentlady - I hadn't thought of going vertical with squashes - all the more space to play with, nice hint!

Momol - addictive? Understatement of the month!
                      Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Originally posted by T-lady View Post
                        Momol - addictive? Understatement of the month!
                        Sounds like your seeds boxes are growing in size . No worries, it is ok, just put the blame on me if need be .

Baker Creek is save and good, I have been ordering more than 10 times from that company (since 2006) and not a single time went wrong. Uncle Bob is pretty new as I only ordered twice but both ordered went smoothly without any problem. Good luck for your squash hunt .
                        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

Momol - thanks for the excuse, I'm blaming YOU!

I've just followed up on allotment lady's suggestion of eBay (it scares me so I normally avoid it - technophobe #1) and ... Premier Seeds Direct! All those varieties for 99p ... I'm sucumbing, I've gotta do it ... must place order NOW!
                          Cheers

T-lady

Comment

T-lady, with ebay just take a few precautions - check the sellers feedback, lots of negatives will give a hint, check how long they've been trading/registered, don't send cash/money to a seller thats got no history, use paypal. I've bought stuff off ebay from all round the World, its the same as buying from anywhere else really, checkout the trader & their prices 1st....

Comment

I've been very happy with the seller 'hozzman' on ebay - loads of variety of branded (T+M, Suttons etc) seeds for 99p-1.50/pack, postage is sensible too (usually 50p + 10p per additional pack). I've ordered twice from him now and the seeds come quickly, dated for use this year or next.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X