Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommend a good book on greenhouse gardening?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a good book on greenhouse gardening?

Can anyone suggest a good book or two on greenhouse gardening? I just used mine to start seedlings off and grow tomatoes, aubergines and cucumbers this year but with my new one I'll have lots more room, plus the advantage of starting earlier in the year, so I'd like to really make the most of it. I'd prefer to stick to mainly veg but I'm not averse to a few flowers as well.

I'm looking for something along the lines of 'The Numpties Guide to Organic Greenhouse Gardening' !

Claire
    I was feeling part of the scenery
    I walked right out of the machinery
    My heart going boom boom boom
    "Hey" he said "Grab your things
    I've come to take you home."

Not sure if it's numpties or not but HRDA - sorry Garden Organic - do one by Sue Stickland thats not bad. I took a load of books to the local charity shop the other day and there was at least 1 in there that was about g/house !!

See if this works for you.

Amazon.co.uk: greenhouse: Books

I would guess the Expert one would be good, also the one by Ann Swithenbank.

The Greenhouse Gardening is a bit too basic for what you want it spends a lot of time talking about different types & materials and then glosses over the rest ( that was one that went to the shop!)

The complete G/H book is excellent - I borrowed it from the Library a few years ago and it covers everything you will need I would think but is still readable.

Hope that helps
    ntg
    Never be afraid to try something new.
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
    ==================================================

Comment

Thanks Nick - have now reserved the Stickland and Swithenbank ones at the library, plus one *called* 'The Complete G/H', though the catalogue is rather vague, so I'm not certain it's the same as the one on Amazon!

Claire

Comment

I have a couple of books that may be of interest:
        growing plants from seed by john kelly isbn 0706374703 or
        the greenhouse expert dr hessayon isbn 0903505401
        Bernie
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I've got the Swithenbank one... What a disappointment.. She's really into her permanent greenhouse plants tho, which I am absolutely not interested in. I've found out most of what I need to know from various ordinary gardening books, and GYO/KG/GW magazines.
          Library is a good idea so you're not forking out for them before you know if they're any good

Comment

Thanks Bernie and Sarah. I'm really suprised the Swithenbank one was a disappointment but definitely good to know that it's best to hang on for a look at the library copy, instead of splashing out! Permenant greenhouse stuff isn't really me either, I think they'd take up too much space, plus I presume you'd have to heat it in winter. Not on my 'to do list' just yet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X