Welly Boots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welly Boots

I'm just flicking through the December edition of GYO magazine and i've come across their 'Tried and Tested' section on Wellington Boots.

Now, when I needed a pair I went down to Focus and paid 10 quid. I was just wondering if anyone here would actually consider paying £125 for the Lacrosse Alphaburly that is rated "Best for Quality"? I mean, regardless of whether they're any good, I can think of better ways of spending 125 quid on the plot. Am I alone in this?

Originally posted by seniab View Post
    ....I can think of better ways of spending 125 quid on the plot. Am I alone in this?
    No. Anyone paying £125 for a pair of wellies is certifiable, in my less-than-humble view!

I'd love to see a grape come on and defend the 'wonder wellies', tho - I am genuinely mistified as to why a single pair of these has been bought. By anyone.
    Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 04-11-2007, 09:41 PM. Reason: afterthought

Comment

Anybody who spends £125 on a pair of wellies needs a slap.

I can think of much better gardening things to spend it on.
      Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by seasprout View Post
        Anybody who spends £125 on a pair of wellies needs a slap.
        Well phrased, SS!

Comment

Now, when I needed a pair I went down to Focus and paid 10 quid.
          £10? £4.50 on Mold market...and they're GREEN. If I want to be really flash, I spend £15 on toe tectors.
          I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I'm just flicking through the December edition of GYO magazine and i've come across their 'Tried and Tested' section on Wellington Boots.

Now, when I needed a pair I went down to Focus and paid 10 quid. I was just wondering if anyone here would actually consider paying £125 for the Lacrosse Alphaburly that is rated "Best for Quality"? I mean, regardless of whether they're any good, I can think of better ways of spending 125 quid on the plot. Am I alone in this?
            You could buy a pair for £10 or less then spend the rest on beer. you can get a lot of beer for £115 anyway I don't wear wellies sooner have my purple Doc Martins anytime
            The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
            Brian Clough

Comment

But then...
              I got a pair of green dunlops and can't wear them when it's cold and wet - which I thought was the whole point - my feet get too cold, even with extra socks.
              So I got a pair of hybrid heavy boots with rubber tops that have a fleecy lining - live in those in the winter, much better and strong toe caps too for when you get run over by the wheelbarrow.
              Sue

Comment

Took me ages to find a pair of wellies, and the ones I have are not ideal - a little on the snug side. I ended up buying a pair of Dunlops - but finding a pair in size twelve was tricky. I would imagine my brother-in-law would have even greater trouble than me, and would have to spend considerably more than the £15 I spent as he has size 16 feet.

I looked into buying decent "walking" boot type things, but they were even more expensive.

Doubt I'd pay £125 for a pair though, given that I spend a considerable amount of time on the plot in flip-flops (much to the potential detriment to my health).
                A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I like my old walking boots best, but doing up the laces is a faff, its easier to slip on a pair of wellies. I won't pay much... my Dunlops were 50p at a carboot, almost new.
                  My OH is of the persuasion that he doesn't care how things look, its how expensive they are that counts (how we ended up together I don't know).Please don't tell him about £125 wellies, because he'll go buy some.
                  He's just bought some garden centre wellies for a tenner. He doesn't wear wellies, he doesn't garden, he doesn't walk anywhere except to the car, and worst of all we have nowhere to store them...they are sat on the stairs, tripping everyone up.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                    You could buy a pair for £10 or less then spend the rest on beer. you can get a lot of beer for £115 anyway I don't wear wellies sooner have my purple Doc Martins anytime
                    Purple dockers, that takes me back to my teens!!
                    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                      ..... but finding a pair in size twelve was tricky. I would imagine my brother-in-law would have even greater trouble than me, and would have to spend considerably more than the £15 I spent as he has size 16 feet.
                      Bloody hell, HW - do they put something in the water round your way??

Comment

Had my purple docs for about 7 years & they are about worn out but I would find it hard to get rid as they are so cumfy
                        Oh and my teens were a long long.....................long time ago.
                        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                        Brian Clough

Comment

I was going to agree with everyone about the outrageous price of those wellies, but then i remembered my dad bought me a pair of Hunter boots for my birthday this year - they were 50 quid!!! In my defence I would like to point out that younger son had bought me posh fleecy wellie-socks for Christmas and they wouldn't fit it my usual 'any old' £5 boots. I spend most of the winter in wellies and it was wonderful to have a comfy pair for slogging across the field to the horses with barrows of hay and feed. Mind you, in the garden (my lottie) I just wear whatever is suitable for the conditions, have a pair of ankle high wellies from Lidl which are fine for plooching up there!
                          Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 05-11-2007, 09:05 AM.
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

I don't have a problem with buying a quality pair of Wellies for £50 when you see the use you get out of them, and if you had a cheap-o version you could easily find that they rub. After all, I pay £50 for a pair of 'work shoes' (i.e. anything which looks remotely respectable with a pair of smart trousers and I can walk in!), so the Hunter wellies are not much different.

For me, I think that the problem with the £125 wellies is that I wouldn't pay that much for ANY pair of shoes/boots, let alone a pair of wellies!

This has got me thinking - the most expensive footwear that I have ever bought was a pair of beige suede high heel boots - £70 if I remember rightly. Mind you, they were a waste of money - if the conditions are remotely appropriate for boots (wet, snowy etc), the boots aren't appropriate for the conditions. And they are too uncomfortable to walk in for long. In fact the only place I have successfully worn then is at the Christmas Eve service at church where it is always freezing, and even then, mum was most disapproving as to the mile-high nature of the spikey heel... and they are still in the wardrobe as I can't justify chucking them out, either....

Anyone else want to admit to their most expensive/biggest waste of money footwear...?
                            Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 05-11-2007, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                              Bloody hell, HW - do they put something in the water round your way??
                              He he. Must be something. But then, I'd look pretty daft at my height with size 8 feet, and likewise with bro-in-law who's 6ft 4 and a sturdy lad!

If only my veg would grow as well as we do...
                              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X