No announcement yet.

What make of tablet would you recommend

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started with a Samsung 7" and progressed to a Samsung Tab A (2016) 10.1" and I wouldn't be without it. I don't do much sophisticated work on it but it does basic 'office' jobs, runs videos, plays games, plans veg patches, etc. Samsung have the next generation 10" tablet out at more than £200 so not the cheapest but the older one like mine is about £160 Bite the bullet I don't think you'll regret it. It beats having to start up the laptop or desk top every time you want to write an email. It helps if the house is wifi enabled too.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaybee View Post
      I started with a Samsung 7" and progressed to a Samsung Tab A (2016) 10.1" and I wouldn't be without it. I don't do much sophisticated work on it but it does basic 'office' jobs, runs videos, plays games, plans veg patches, etc. Samsung have the next generation 10" tablet out at more than £200 so not the cheapest but the older one like mine is about £160 Bite the bullet I don't think you'll regret it. It beats having to start up the laptop or desk top every time you want to write an email. It helps if the house is wifi enabled too.
      Mine is also a Tab A. I should have said.

Comment

Samsung here as well.
        We started out with apple, and like everyone says, you are tied in completely by it.Myself and OH now use Samsung.
        It also has a very good camera

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
          Seems there's security concerns over Huawei stuff, not sure if it's a concern for domestic stuff, but Bt(EE) and the Police etc, have removed all equipment from China.
          This is more political than technology.

Issue is that the company (Huawei) has close links to the government and "could bring down" western communication systems remotely - Similar to the Ericson Certificate issue 2 weeks or so ago with O2.

All telecoms companies have this ability. We use it to manage and repair the network. The question politically is who do we trust the least. By same token, Apple, Google, etc could take over all our devices (which we are continually told not to click on malware / don't enable remote access).

Don't let this worry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Logunner View Post
            Ease of use and security then it’s apple

Freedom to change ‘make’ then it’s got to have an android OS.

Windows is an option but like android you need a good security suite.
            You don't want to go down windows tablet route. The O/S has not been well received by the apps developers, so useful free stuff is hard to come by.

basically Apple / Android, just make sure you back up pictures and material to local device (memory stick etc)

Comment

I've had a few different tablets and I have found that android tablets from most manufacturers (HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, Asus etc) all tend to slow down significantly following more updates. I have found that I have got much more of a lifespan from an iPad as it is useable for much longer so not necessarily that expensive overall even if a little more initially.
              Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Bloat is a problem with every O/S. They tend to optimize O/S for new devices, but soon they are onto their next thing and all is forgotten. My apple devices fell into that camp too after a couple of years. Had to go through the drivers one by one, disabling where appropriate. It is their way to drive consumerism.

Comment

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
                  I've had a few different tablets and I have found that android tablets from most manufacturers (HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, Asus etc) all tend to slow down significantly following more updates. I have found that I have got much more of a lifespan from an iPad as it is useable for much longer so not necessarily that expensive overall even if a little more initially.
                  I've found the opposite to be true. (at least until recently) it always seemed my iPads where lightning fast until a newer version came out, and then the older one would get progressively slower until it ground to a halt. And you'd have to buy a new one

People have cottoned on to it now and proven this was happening. now apple are releasing updates that un-nerf the older ipads. So my old iPad has a new lease of life

I've got an iPad and also a 10" fire tablet, I use them both

If I was going to be buying one for my mum. Or an older person though I'd get them an iPad. They are very simple and straightforward to use

Comment

Personally I’m apple. I like the fact that they ‘check’ apps before they are allowed in the store so less risk of maleware and the like. Yes the iPads do link nicely together with iPhones but I’ve had no problem sending photos to my dad’s android tablet or vice vera so I wouldn’t say you are tied in per say the apple extras are there if you want them but if you don’t the alternative options work well too.

I’ve had more problems with updates etc on my parents android phones and tablet that I’ve ever had with my various apply devices over the years. I’ve only just upgraded from my iPhone 4 (they are now on 10) and not even to a new one so I’d say they last well.

Comment

Another vote for the iPad. They’re safe, easy to use, and well built. What more can you ask for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenowhere View Post

I’ve had more problems with updates etc on my parents android phones and tablet that I’ve ever had with my various apply devices over the years. I’ve only just upgraded from my iPhone 4 (they are now on 10) and not even to a new one so I’d say they last well.
                        With updates Apple ones come direct from Apple who write the software. Android is written by Google and that is then distributed by the hardware makers who do all sorts of tweaks to it so it may take a while for them to be issued if at all.
                        Last edited by DannyK; 06-04-2019, 05:47 PM.
                        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X