New member looking for advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member looking for advice

Hello,I have taken on a plot(with a small green house),a part of an old walled garden on a country estate on the North Wales coast,and would like to start growing veg soon as possible.We very rarely get frost or snow in winter here.
    What can I sow at this time of year?
    Thank you

Hi Ian and welcome to the vine.

Sounds like a nice plot to have. Is it a contact on the plot or have they just let you have part of their garden?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Hi Ian, and welcome to the vine.

For things to sow now, try some salad leaves, beetroot, carrots, spring cabbage, maybe spring onions?
      Maybe some christmas potatoes in the GH?

Comment

Welcome, soon be bulb planting time, including edibles like some Onions and Garlic.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post
          Hi Ian and welcome to the vine.

Sounds like a nice plot to have. Is it a contact on the plot or have they just let you have part of their garden?
          Thanks, I work there and have it rent free.The last person to have it lost interest.The owner just wants someone to have it so the place looks tidy.Its next to a campsite on the estate Llanfendigaid Estate: Luxury Flex-Catering Accommodation In Wales

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
            Hi Ian, and welcome to the vine.

For things to sow now, try some salad leaves, beetroot, carrots, spring cabbage, maybe spring onions?
            Maybe some christmas potatoes in the GH?
            Thank you,how about broad beans and sproats ?

Comment

Croeso Ian
              Looks a wonderful place to live and work. Is the plot ready to sow/plant or does it need some preparation?

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                Welcome, soon be bulb planting time, including edibles like some Onions and Garlic.
                Thanks,will do

Comment

Theres a broad bean variety called Luz de Otono which can be sown now for an autumn harvest.
                  Aquadulce Claudia can be sown in October/for an early summer crop and other varieties sown in spring.

Sprouts take a long time in the bed and are sown March/Aprilish for planting/transplanting in May/June

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                  ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Hello Ian and Welcome from another Welshie, I garden on the the Wild West Coast of Pembrokeshire approx 3miles inland from the sea.

I'm already jealous of your walled (micro-climate) garden.

I have no idea about broad beans as I don't grow them, I'm not a fan sorry.

I think you are bit late for sprouts as they need time to grow.

However it's the perfect time for late sowings of Cabbage, Romanesco, Cauli. As you seem to have a lovely climate they will enjoy. Also carrots, kale, lettuce, Lambs lettuce (loves the cooler weather)

Just a starter for you x

Comment

Welcome to the vine

Comment

Hello and welcome to the Vine Should still be time for pak choi, mooli, rocket and chard.
                        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Hi there, and welcome to the Vine from me too
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Ian

Welcome to the madhouse. What a cracking place to have a greenhouse and a walled garden to play with, lucky you
                            sigpic
                            . .......Man Vs Slug
                            Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                            Nutters Club Member

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Ian have a look at this site all you need to do is to set your location then it gives you sowing/planting times and roughly when to expect your first and last frost.

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/cale...rsonalised.php
                              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X