Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• programmes/books for beginners

Hey everyone.
    I am just starting my adventure with gardening, so now I am very interested in this subject. I read a lot of articles and I am active on forums connected with gardening to know more and more about plants. Do you know some programmes or books that will be useful for beginners? Maybe some that you used when you was starting? Thanks all!

I started off with a very old readers digest book, handed down to me, and I still like to read it.
    You can definitely find a decent selection in the library,it's free and you will have options galore
    Happy reading

Comment

Mali53 - do you know the types of things you want to grow? You mentioned in another post you have a greenhouse, do you only grow in a greenhouse or do you have some outside beds?

A lot of the people on here are from the UK so TV programs we watch may not be accessable to you in Poland.

You tube can be useful if you are after advice on specific crops - although you may have to hunt through the videos to find those made by people who have experience and knowledge of the crop they are videoing.

Some of the channels I like are
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuy...JGkuOT2eWDGY2g
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCea...iQFJJmiuon2WoQ
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoC...8AqbvRLCYcqhlw

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I started off on Dr Hessayon "Expert" series of books. Readers Digest books are good.

Jumble Sales are a good source of books.
        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Hi Mali,

I started with a couple of books which I borrowed from the library.
          The growing guides on this forum, RHS website, and the information on seedpackets was helpful too.
          And, of course, the forum here for any odd questions I still needed answers too.

Good luck

Comment

I can thoroughly recommend "Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables" by Lawrence D. Hills - probably the best book on this subject ever written.

Comment

I found the best way as a beginner ( I consider myself to still being a beginner ) is by doing and learning from my mistakes ( there's been many ).
              I find most books to over complicate the simplest of tasks. But they do have pretty pictures usually.
              As for programmes on the subject................ I have nothing polite to say

Comment

Any book written by Geoff Hamilton gets my vote, I always learnt something useful from him.

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                  I find most books to over complicate the simplest of tasks.
                  As for programmes on the subject................ I have nothing polite to say
                  That's the appeal of the Hessayon "Expert" books, no empty puff.

I hate Beechgrove, they have such beautiful meconopsis that I can't grow!

You newcomers are so lucky with the benefit of the internet. No carrying heavy tomes from the library and photocopiers where copies had to dry out!
                  Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I second looking on YouTube. Loads of fantastic free videos from professionals and amateurs. I'd recommend just browsing and subscribing to any channels you like the look of, or where they are growing in similar conditions to you.

My favourite is One Yard Revolution. He's growing in the ground in a fairly small back garden in Chicago. So, pretty different to my Derbyshire container garden, but I like his approach which incorporates permaculture, no-dig and forest gardening concepts while keeping everything looking relatively ordered and accessible.

Comment

I third looking at youtube videos...

There are loads of good channels out there

My favourite is :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn3...i_pkfrw/videos

UK gardeners, with no airs and graces, Castle Hill Garden...
                      I discovered them last year. I looked at my stony, wet, clumpy clay soil and wondered how the 'heck' was I ever going to get anything to grown especially my peas! And then I watched him plant his peas into the same type of soil. I copied the Cliff and flipping heck they grew!

Cliff does the talking his wife Dianne does the videoing. He shows how he does it. (whether you agree or not) Cliff has 50 plus years of experience, loads of FREE advice and he also shows you when things don't go quite as planned...

He produces amazing produce, even after their garden was 'flash flooded' a month ago...

I look forward to their videos every Saturday..

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X