Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pigs at Royal Highland show?

Hi,
    I visited the RHS yesterday and had a great time. Horses, cattle, poultry, sheep, goats, birds of prey, ferrets, gundogs, terriers of all shapes and sizes. But no pigs. I was very surprised. Are they normally there? really wanted so see some.

Don't you need a licence to move pigs?
    Maybe its too much hassle or there's a restriction on movement at the moment?

Comment

Hi,
      Yeah I thought there might be some kind of restriction, possibly due to a virus or something similar. Everyone I asked yesterday seemed a bit vague about it.
      PS.Don't you need a licence to move sheep, goats and cattle? It's a mystery.

Comment

They've probably found that it isn't financially viable - cost of housing pigs/licences for said temporary accommodation/stockman's accommodation/prize money/judge's expenses, versus the number of show entries likely plus the number of people drawn to the show to see pigs.

I went to the Rutland Show a couple of years ago and was quite shocked to find the only horse classes they had were the heavy horses. At one time there would have been show jumping, children's show ponies, breeding classes, hack classes, carriage driving, scurry, loads of horses. Very sad to see these classes disappearing.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

They don't exhibit Pigs at RHS. Don't know why, but looking back over the results for last 8 years, there has not been a Pig Class. Perhaps because it is a 4 day event, pigs would be under too much stress.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X