No announcement yet.

Coastal foraging

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspired by so when we went to the beach yesterday we did some exploratory seaweed foraging. Found and tried 4 types of wrack, gutweed and sea lettuce. Have a small bowl in the fridge. Youngest likes gutweed, eldest liked all the wracks but favourite is sea lettuce. Found masses of laver but didn't pick as put off by 6+ hours of simmering on hob needed. Then found post on t'interweb that you can just put in slow cooker overnight - will do that next time.

Also found caragheen but only one bit so left it there.
    Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Brilliant happyhumph
      We didn't find any sea lettuce. Evidence of it ( little bits washed up ), but no actual plants.
      We found lots of caragheen but after research it used as a thickening agent in lots of things like ice cream & milkshakes. It basically a replacement for gelatine. We did try a bit and it's not good .
      Could you put up a link to the slow Cooker laver. Like you we were put off by the 6+ hours cooking time.

Comment

Hi sp. Here it is https://monicawilde.com/how-to-make-laverbread/
        Another happy Nutter...

Comment

I am surprised nobody has mentioned sea urchins, abundant in the deeper pools, a delicacy in many cuisines, including raw in japan. the smell can be off puting but tasty

Comment

Thanks HH - that's a great blog with the laver bread recipe.

Sea urchins - many years ago, on a beach in Sicily, I saw a local man carrying a bag of urchins - though I didn't recognise them at the time. In my best pidgin Italian I asked him what they were. He didn't try to explain, just whipped out a knife, cut an urchin open and offered me the contents on the blade of his knife!! Can't remember what they tasted like, but the memory of that day came back to me as soon as you mentioned sea urchins. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
              Thanks. Great link with Lots of recipes. A few of them I fancy giving a go.

Comment

Originally posted by SelkirkAlex View Post
                I am surprised nobody has mentioned sea urchins, abundant in the deeper pools, a delicacy in many cuisines, including raw in japan. the smell can be off puting but tasty
                Yep, introduced to them when I stayed on a Greek Island in my youth.

Chopped in half, then scooped out with a chunk of bread with olive oil drizzled over it - gorgeous.
                .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

I watched Countryfile this morning (I guess it was last week's repeated show).

Anyway, it was a bit alarming about various 'superbugs' like e-coli now becoming abundant in our seawater and rivers.

Did anyone else see it ?
                  .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Have been drying the sea lettuce. Just tried some and wow! Fresh it's fairly bland and inoffensive. Dried it's amazing
                    Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X