No announcement yet.

Computer chip problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a Linux man too (apart from a gaming pc and android phone). Still potentially troublesome as these exploits are at the processor level - happily we'll probably never know if we've been compromised.
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

I had a computer for the past 18 months that had never been used on the internet, as I bought it as a back-up for the one I am using most of the time the older one runs on Windows 8·1 and the newer one is a windows10 which to be honest I find difficult to work, but would I be better to go on line and update it, or just leave till required?
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by DWSmith View Post
        I run Linux. If something happens to my PC I'll just pop the DVD in the drive and reimage my machine. Fortunately I automatically get updates to everything running on my computer automatically but security is not a big issue for Linux like it is for M$ Windoze.
        Snap, so do I together with Open Office on my laptop. Bit of tangentisation, I have a bit of fun with the scammers who ring me up and tell me that Microsoft have blacklisted me and they can help me sort it out.
        "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
        "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
        Oxfordshire

Comment

Meltdown and Spectre: All Macs, iPhones and iPads affected - BBC News

Comment

As I understand it, it's a chip problem, so it affects computers with the affected chips running Linux too. A patch has been released for Redhat, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
              I had a computer for the past 18 months that had never been used on the internet, as I bought it as a back-up for the one I am using most of the time the older one runs on Windows 8·1 and the newer one is a windows10 which to be honest I find difficult to work, but would I be better to go on line and update it, or just leave till required?
              I'd be inclined to regularly update the new one. If you wait till you actually need it who knows how long it'll take to download and then install all the updates. It seems to take ages on regular updates. I've been waiting for three updates for my sister in law's for over 40mins and they've not started downloading yet!
              Make sure all updates completed before surfing.
              You may be able to rejig how the desktop looks. I found this magazine useful when I was using Windowshttp://http://getcomputeractive.co.u...SAAEgIJ_PD_BwE
              Last edited by DannyK; 05-01-2018, 06:47 PM.
              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Here's a link to a useful article on the patches.
                It has a useful link for Windows users. It seems not all anti-virus software compatible with patch but things are being tweaked.
                There's also a link for Linux users.
                I've not had any patches for my iMac yet.
                https://blog.avast.com/meltdown-and-..._medium=social
                Last edited by DannyK; 06-01-2018, 04:30 PM.
                Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

That was interesting, DannyK. The table was especially useful. Time to get updating, methinks. Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X