my thermometer must be broken

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my thermometer must be broken

temperature in my unheated poly tunnel was -5.9c last night but the one stuck on the outside of the kitchen window where there could be windchill reads -19.4c ridiculous!

Chilly, chilly!

Comment

We dipped to minus 4.7, that's cold enough
      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

the forecast said -6 for us (at about 6 this morning). The thermometer at the tube station at 7.45ish said -3 but I think that gets more sun.

Comment

Originally posted by SelkirkAlex View Post
          temperature in my unheated poly tunnel was -5.9c last night but the one stuck on the outside of the kitchen window where there could be windchill reads -19.4c ridiculous!
          It must be broken - wind chill doesn't affect thermometers, only objects with a built-in heat source. A dry thermometer can only read the ambient air temperature.

Comment

I'm willing to be that where you are Alex the thermometer was right!!
            sigpic

Comment

They put thermometers and hydrometers inside a Stevenson Screen in order to not get false readings from the effect of wind. As I guess SA didn't glue a Stevenson to his window it was very likely affected by the wind.

Comment

A while ago there was a discussion as to whether a waterbutt of water in a polytunnel would help to keep it warmer. This morning my waterbutt was frozen solid (the temperature in the polytunnel had dipped to -3.1 and the outside temperature to -4.9)

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                  They put thermometers and hydrometers inside a Stevenson Screen in order to not get false readings from the effect of wind. As I guess SA didn't glue a Stevenson to his window it was very likely affected by the wind.
                  http://www.russell-scientific.co.uk/...eens-35-c.asp;

A Stevenson's screen is used to shield instruments from precipitation and direct heat radiation from outside sources. The screen allows air to circulate freely and provides a uniform environment in relation to the air outside the screen.
                  No mention of wind and, indeed, with all the sides louvred the wind will pretty well blow straight through.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X