No announcement yet.

Anyone still use a typewriter?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll have to let us know how you went on DW.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Got a 1953 Olympia SM-3 DeLuxe. It's very clean and solid. Needs a new ribbon of course.

The carry case, the key for the carry case, and the operator instruction manual were all included.

A bit of provenance. I bought it from a 67 year old guy whose father bought it new in 1953 when starting college.

I'm rather tired of hearing how this-or-that over-priced item belonged to a grandfather and the grand child wants to see the item go to a good home. Too many stories like that to believe. I think the story on this typewriter was honest though.

I didn't want to buy one from a guy who found it at the thrift store for $5 and wanted to make a huge profit.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DWSmith; 20-10-2017, 12:40 PM.
      Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Oh that's lovely. Is it normal for the carriage return to be on the left? I thought it was on the right on my mum's one, but it's many, many years since I used it so it's probably just because a computer return key is on the right that I'm thinking the lever used to be on the right.

Comment

Nice looking machine DW

Mitzi I've only ever seen them with the return on the left. like you say you're probably relating it to a PC keyboard.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I was wrong. The typewriter has a broken screw and really shouldn't be used until the screw is replaced. Haven't found one here yet so I had to contact ... The Typewriter Man. He's in England and seems to be quite the typewriter celebrity.

In the mean time I bought another typewriter. A 1955 Olympia SM-3. Works like a champ! Soon I should have 2 good Olympia SM-3 typewriters.

It just blows me away how inexpensive these used typewriters are. Both of them appear to be barely used and hardly needed any cleaning. I'm beginning to think people bought them for a typing class or for typing a couple of papers for school and then set them in a closet to be forgotten. Brings back fond memories.

Gotta go. Need to type a letter and send it to Tom Hanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTtDb73NkNM
            Last edited by DWSmith; 27-10-2017, 09:41 PM.
            Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X