No announcement yet.

Anyone still use a typewriter?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I learned to touch type on a typewriter. If I told prospective employers that I could type, I was consigned to the typing pool no matter what my other qualifications. When wordprocessors appeared I discovered that typing skills were an asset to doing anything on a computer.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
      I have an Imperial 66 in the loft along with an electric screen Typer - but don't use them now of course. I can still do Pitman shorthand too though not at 130 wpm as I used to!
      Any chance you would consider selling your Imperial 66? (To me, obviously. I can collect.) My mum used to have an Imperial (not sure what number) and I learned to type on that. It was a fantastic heavy metal thing. We were burgled and it was stolen, the replacement was plastic and light and would move on the desk if you whacked the carriage return too hard. She got rid of it when she got a PC.

Comment

My dear friend in Oxfordshire still takes her typewriter round the farms when she's doing their accounts but she also has a lap-top to use for them at home.
        I work very hard so please don't expect me to think as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzi View Post
          Any chance you would consider selling your Imperial 66? (To me, obviously. I can collect.) My mum used to have an Imperial (not sure what number) and I learned to type on that. It was a fantastic heavy metal thing. We were burgled and it was stolen, the replacement was plastic and light and would move on the desk if you whacked the carriage return too hard. She got rid of it when she got a PC.
          Not a snowball's chance in a CAT scanner Mitzi, sorry
          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Try Imperial Typewriter | eBay

Comment

the first time I had a go on a computer key board (never had a typewriter)I was being shown how to use the computer for work (again never worked a computer) I was told not use the one finger to type with, when a girl came in to the office and asked the person teaching me about something,he turned to the computer and started typing with one finger, so that was the end of the lesson and I still type with one finger
              Last edited by rary; 17-10-2017, 04:34 PM.
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I am far too young to remember typewriters

Comment

Is that another way of saying you're so old that your memory is shot?

Comment

I don't remember....

Comment

How about the Gutenberg Press?
                      Nutter's Club member.

Comment

On keyboards there are still the raised lines on the “f” and “j” keys that guide where your fingers start from. It’s difficult to touch type on tablets and modern laptops when the keyboard is on the screen.
                        "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                        "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                        Oxfordshire

Comment

Absolutely agree Janie. It's frustrating when I can't touch type on the laptop and I'm sure that the keys are closer together on keyboards. ASDF:LKJ seems an awfully long time ago, I wonder if it is still taught?
                          Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I know what you mean it took me ages to be comfy typing using my PC keyboard I never did get on with laptops but I do like my kindle fire its handy especially sat out in the garden.
                            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I have one. Not the portable one I got when I was a teenager sadly though.

it's very nice. Don't use it currently as my desk is a bit cluttered with bee stuff.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12806106_10153869433940259_5827657399330323518_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	2375402

Comment

I've lined up an Olympia to look at tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm so tired of clicking and clacking on a cheap, flimsy, plastic keyboard. I have 2 of them on my desk but the HP keyboard is by far the better of the two. I also have 3 huge monitors on my desk. I have some stuff I want to type up and keep in binders and I want to do it my way.
                                Last edited by DWSmith; 19-10-2017, 08:01 PM.
                                Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X