No announcement yet.

Ancestry DNA

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found it absolutely fascinating ....soooo frustrating when you hit a wall though.
    When I have time I will deffo volunteer to put free info onto the Internet.
    The bestest thing of all was asking my Grandma's cousin's grandchildren for family piccies!
    Cor blimey...some of them look more like me than my brother!

So many lost opportunities of asking older rellies about their grandparents....so much we all need to hang on to!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I've traced mine too. My Dad's family (my maiden name line) is back to the 1600s when they were yeoman farmers in Gloucestershire. I have some of their wills which are fascinating - really brings them to life as real people, not just names. Some of the bequests - "my old grey ambling mare", "the best bed", the olde brasse pot", "the wooden chest with initials EW" (his name), "to each grandchild a sheep", the contents of the dairy, "my best suit of clothes" and so on.
      One day I'll start researching again.

Comment

Go for it VC...winter is the perfect time!

I have a will like that...makes you realise what a throw away society we seem to have these days
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by JanieB View Post
          Has anyone else done this. I did and got the results back this week. It wasn't what it told me, it was what it didn't tell me. It just pointed me to spending more money for more info.
          Just seen this post, i had mine done a couple of years ago, think it's got even better now, but I haven't looked at details for little while, takes a bit of doing, make sure you upload your results to the sites suggested and do contact people if you can. My closet link has 'no tree' and hasnt responded! Helpful.

I've been researching family for few years, started with my mother's as knew nothing at all, very interesting. Then started on my dad's, unfortunately lots have same names and most at least 10 children.

Once you get into it, takes over your life, I do more in winter though when can't get to allotment!

Good luck, if you need encouragement, please talk to me! I love it.
          Last edited by scarey55; 28-08-2017, 07:40 AM. Reason: Fixing quote
          DottyR

Comment

The ethnicity results were interesting, I'm only 17 % British!
            DottyR

Comment

Thing is what is "British" we are the biggest bunch of mongrels on the planet I think lol.(Well apart from the antipodeans..................and the Americans..........)

Comment

Yes, I realise that, but to have such a small % was what was interesting, 25% Irish, and this helps our searches for a gg grandfather, who may well have have popped over from Ireland before 'disappearing! The other big % was east European, which makes sense.
                DottyR

Comment

I know what you mean Dorothy, you can hear my family groan when I haul out my pile of paperwork, they know dinner's going to be late on several nights and things are not going to be done the way they usually are. It's a great hobby for the winter but as you say it does take over your life!
                  Last edited by Jay22; 26-08-2017, 10:20 AM. Reason: Sp.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                    Thing is what is "British" we are the biggest bunch of mongrels on the planet I think lol.(Well apart from the antipodeans..................and the Americans..........)
                    Should I be offended?!?!?! Nope. It's true!

BTW, where is Antipodea located?
                    Last edited by DWSmith; 29-08-2017, 01:25 PM.
                    Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Antipodea is the other side of the world to Podea.........or is it Ipodea?

Anyway, I like mongrels, whatever their ancestry

Comment

How about opposite to Propodea which is south of Propecia?
                        Last edited by DWSmith; 29-08-2017, 02:13 PM.
                        Nutter's Club member.

Comment

We are all children of the universe and made of star stuff
                          sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Click Here for my Diary and Blog
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

Originally posted by DWSmith View Post
                            How about opposite to Propodea which is south of Propecia?
                            don't fancy living in either of those places, thanks all the same lol

Comment

Originally posted by DWSmith View Post

BTW, where is Antipodea located?
                              In your case, the Indian Ocean!
                              "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
                              "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
                              Oxfordshire

Comment

With a rare name that looks Italian/Latin I thought my maiden name would be very easy to trace.

It turns out a lot of other people (even in Australia) thought the same. We are all related to one man who got married in Germany in the 1760s and nobody knows where he came from. Other distant relations have even gone to the small village in Germany, where he turned up, to see if any more could be found, except a lot more distant relations all searching for the same man

I even asked a few questions about the name when I was in Northern Italy on holiday one year. Spent 3 days of it trying to trace the name there - no beach for me, and no more info either!
                                The family has spread so far and wide from one man, considering couples had so many children in those days
                                Every 6months or so there is even a 'Bulletin' released on the web with more to add to the family picture. It's all quite strange really, but very addictive.

Tis a mystery *sigh*
                                Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 29-08-2017, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X