DIY Solar Powered Water Feature

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Solar Powered Water Feature

Has anybody ever made their own water feature using solar power and are solar powered water pumps any good?

I found instructions online for one I'd like to make but it is using an electric water pump. I tried to post a picture here but it won't let me. Basically it's made of a large terracotta tray, sprayed to make it waterproof, and then several smaller trays on top of upturned terracotta pots that have a lip/lips filed into their edges so that the water runs from the top one into the next and so on. The only thing is, would it work using a solar powered pump?

Shamba

Probably depends on having the right sized solar panel and enough sun.
    I've seen a few DIY solar features that work but I know nothing about how much output you'd need for what you have in mind.

Comment

I had a water feature powered by a solar panel that worked perfectly well for many years it gave up last year. The only disadvantage for me was having to move the panel as the shade came around - Sham
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

I bought a solar powered fountain with a battery. The idea was that the sun charged up the battery and the battery powered the pump. The battery died after 12 months but the pump is now driven directly off the panel.

The panel is about 2.5ft x 1ft and generates 12v which drives the pump. When there's any shade the pump stops. I bought it to try and generate some water movement in the pond (rather than a fountain) and it seems to do that OK. When I put the fountain head on, it just got bunged up because there's no filter on the water flowing around.

Comment

Might be best to try the Japanese tipping bucket scenario with the 12v solar set up. The dribbling outlet slowly fills say a 1.5 ltr container then tips into your pond (sump).

Greater water movement + a rhythmic clack to scare the birds...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X