X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summer Solstice

Its the Summer Solstice tomorrow - after that the nights start drawing in
    Hope I haven't upset you all

Its normally Chris Bleedy Evans who mentions that and puts me in a sour mood for the week.
    Thanks ever so.
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Himself is already mournful. Eejit.

I'm getting up to see the sun in tomorrow morning. Off to beddybyes now though.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

will that mean I will get to bed earlier as I cant sleep when there is daylight, although I have been known to inspect the inside of my eye lids for an hour or two, especially when I know my OH wants me to do some housework, though I think that could be more an allergic reaction kicking in
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I drove past Stonehenge earlier this evening....car park was already busy (£15 to park a car ) there's not many lay-bys near by and they were already chocca

Comment

Just checked...Thursday is 4seconds shorter than Wednesday!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Well I never!...I actually saw the sunrise!

It was due around 6am our time, but took 40 mins to rise above the hill and treeline before the first rays appeared.

Such a beautiful orange glow!

And nope, I didn't just sit there waiting, I managed to iron 2sets of bedding!

Anyone else see it?
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nope couldn't see it for the rain clouds, and the pile of ironing that I am hoping a mad grape will come along and do for me
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Like Rary, I'm still waiting to see the sun.

Comment

Me too SP - It hasnt bothered to rise in Leeds today.

Happy summer solstice everyone - lets all be positive, there are still lots of long light evenings to come

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      Its the Summer Solstice tomorrow - after that the nights start drawing in
                      Hope I haven't upset you all
                      Better define "drawing in" ?
                      The nights remain getting darker later for a few days as the "night" gets a bit later it is the other end, the morning, that gets lighter later so the overall "night" increases as you end up with the night starting say 1 minute later at the evening but ends say 2 minutes later at the morning. So a bit more night but not synmetric around the solstice.

I think it is "Misdsummer" when the evening night starts to get shorted, effectively this is the furthest Western extent of the sun's path.

This likely means that places like Stonehenge are built for the Midsummer not the solstice as when built that would be what they could measure or what they would see.

It is a consequence of our eliptical orbit around the sun. Also during our "summer" (all 3 days of it) we are actually about the furthest from the sun.

This is the sort of useless things you learn when owing a telescope.

Comment

Thanks Kirk
                        That's my one thing new I've learnt today

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          Well I never!...I actually saw the sunrise!

It was due around 6am our time, but took 40 mins to rise above the hill and treeline before the first rays appeared.

Such a beautiful orange glow!

And nope, I didn't just sit there waiting, I managed to iron 2sets of bedding!

Anyone else see it?
                          Yes I saw the bedding at 6am.

Comment

We went on a village picnic to Wales' own Stonehenge. ....Tinkinswood. The mist descended just after sunset. Quid eirie .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X