Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegetables from a typical sized allotment.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
    Yes it was 90ft x 30ft - so roughly 250 metres squared!
    90' x 30' is 2700 square feet and I'm using 60' x 45' which is also 2700 square feet so I should be good.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DWSmith; 14-04-2017, 11:12 AM.
    Nutter's Club member.

Comment

Whilst a full sized plot would have generated enough vegetables to feed a family of four in the 1940's, my guess is that it would not be the mix of vegetables that we find acceptable today (lots of potatoes, cabbages, swede, etc.).

Like many, I try to grow for flavour (rather than quantity) and to minimise the amount of time I spend at the allotment. Hence I grow quite a lot of fruit, no potatoes, onions or other vegetables that are cheaply available in the supermarkets.

I also once read that the best way to reduce the carbon footprint of peas grown in Nigeria was to put the lid on the pan when cooking them.

Comment

It's not easy to get a full plot in my borough, most sites are broken into half plots but the Council doesn't make that distinction when it counts them for, for example, FOI requests. So it seems as though there are more plots when in fact 2/3 of our original site is now student housing.

With a share of a second plot I now have about 165sqm and that provides about 3/5 of the veg we eat, but it takes a lot of planning to get it right and I could do a lot to improve the yields.
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X