Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

your views peeps please re change of lifestyle....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe you could tie up a bit of cash by buying a small plot of land & a hoooge static as you are familiar with that type of living. Grow your own crops, get a few chooks & jump off the planet. Not sure how feasible a static would be long term though.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I would say do it, too, but I'm biased as we 'opted out' in our mid forties.
      We looked at how much money we needed to live on, or rather how little we could survive on and then tried to decide if being broke but 'free' was better than the nine to five. We now actually have less money than the basic we thought we could live on but are still happy and surviving.
      We didn't want to find ourselves just transferring the stress of work into the stress of no money!!
      I would echo what Clare said about plot size - we too have a nice big patch that, even though a lot of it is rough grass, still takes a lot up upkeep, both physical and time.
      Also, think about a few of the less nice what ifs - for me, it was unexpected ill health that made looking after the garden very difficult for a year. I was also glad that, although we are right out in the sticks, my Dr is only fifteen minutes away, and the hospital less than half an hour.
      Other things to think about - how far will you be from old friends and family?
      How important is going out (pub, theatre, meals,cinema ...) to you?
      Do you make new friends easily?
      How do you get on as a couple under stress?
      Give it a go - even if it goes wrong, as least you will have tried.
      Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

My OH was born and bred in East London and had never, until the age of 28 lived anywhere other than that.
        That was until I decided that a move to very rural North Bedfordshire would be good for all of us but in particular the kids who were 6 & 8. We now live in Lincolnshire where the majority of people call you 'duck' (its brilliant)

Well, all these years on neither of us would go back to a town or city even though there are advantages to living in them.

The only advice I would give if you decided to 'go for it' would be - not too far from a village with a shop as doing a 20 mile round trip for milk is costly, suss out the nearest Dr's, check that the supermarkets do home delivery just in case you are stuck at home for any reason and check with the council (don't rely on a survey and searches) as to whether there is planning permission for anything near to where you are interested in.

We now live in a little village in Lincolnshire, with neighbours I know most of the names off, have a brilliant quacks a mile away, bells that ring in the church every hour and a view towards the nearest hill.

Downside is tiddy garden but at least we have central heating here.

So, if you both decide to go for it let us know when the house warming is as I have a mean beetroot wine brewing............................Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

How exciting,ref the no working saving money,since we both retired money was better,nothing for fancy holidays ext,just better,another thing to maybe look into,before you buy anywhere is,how would you both feel about having a caravan to rent out for the holiday market,also a place for visitors to stay,that would beat working when sorted out,if it's meant to be,it will come to you,sounds like the whispers are already at work ,good luck,let us know how you get on,life is to short for if only,and regrets,i envey you in many ways
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Another for 'go for it'. We had a whole lifestyle change when we moved and the first year was scary as hell with whether it would pan out ok but we couldn't live with regretting it if we didn't at least try.

Like others have said and yes I know I am only a youngster but things to think about. Stairs - bungalows in the sticks with a bit of land are likely to be harder to find and more expensive. Shops - how much will it bother you if you run out of something. I have an hour out when I do - 25mins drive there, 10 mins shopping, 25mins back. Doctors or worse still hospital, where we used to live it was 5mins down the road used it once in 7 years, it is now 45mins drive away and lost count of the visits in 4 years (damn you sods law!) Also community spirit doesn't exist in many of the villages around me, just incase fetes, fayres and various country events appear in your escape.

Comment

Oh and think about whether you want a house or bungalow..................we now live in a bungalow and for us who are getting quite doddery its brilliant.................no stairs to hoover, moving heavy stuff from one place to another etc.
              I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I would echo what everyone else says about practicalities. Boring, I know but access to shops, hospitals, doctors and neighbours can make a real difference to you as you get older. With hindsight, the middle of VERY rural France wasn't the best choice - don't get me wrong, it is a wonderful life but, like NG 25 minutes to the nearest largeish supermarket and an hour from the "big" town gets a bit wearing especially during the winter.
                A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

well what can I say you lovely,lovely people..... I think there maybe talking into the wee hours later!

Comment

You're not the only one to consider 'the move'. It's on my list too but things that creep into the consiousness are :
                    The effort to maintain daily life, if one or other of you become infirm can you still manage to produce food, take care of the livestock and heat yourselves etc.
                    Access to facilities like Doctors, Hospitals, Groceries, Internet? Running water and drainage, Mains electricity.
                    The idea of laying hedges, growing excess veg to sell at the local farmers market and Eggs, pork etc. is fantasticly absorbing until health fails you (one day hopefully way off into the future).
                    You need to ensure all the infastructure/buildings/fences are in place in the first couple of years because old slow people are old and slow!
                    But you should push ahead and do it. Just look over your shoulder for some more of us coming up behind you.

Comment

I've always been a 'go for it' person, we had one experience some years ago that cost us heavily, but we were both young enough to get over it.

I am lucky now being able to take semi retirement, let others do the manual work and cover my end in my own time.

Would I 'go for it' most certainly I could not bear the thought in later years having to ask myself "what if".
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

MrsW, please don't forget............

Most of us are nutters on here

Comment

I tend to over think these things but the 2 questions/points I would have is:
                          Do not bank everything on getting work.Cannot say you will not but cannot say you will. In effect what do you do if you don't get something.

When you say "fair bit left over" what does that mean?
                          An example is that for every £25,000 you could expect with sensible selection a dividend return of 5%, so £1,250 annually or £100 a month. So without telling me or any one how many multiples of £25,000 will you have? Then work out the result you can get from whatever amount.

Big mistake to avoid is that if you change life then do not go off and have a final big holiday, or a new car. As both are a lot of money that you can use better ways.

Comment

Mrs Wadders, if in your position, I would take off my "Boots n Socks" and jump in two footed!

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                            Maybe you could tie up a bit of cash by buying a small plot of land & a hoooge static as you are familiar with that type of living. Grow your own crops, get a few chooks & jump off the planet. Not sure how feasible a static would be long term though.
                            Had a friend who did something very simalar, but the bit of land purchased was at the side of a Canal and bought a Narrow Boat to live on!

And as the advantage, when fed up, starts up n beggers off for a few days!

Living The Dream!
                            Last edited by Deano's "Diggin It"; 02-02-2017, 05:10 PM. Reason: Fixing a typo
                            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
                              Had a friend who did something very simalar, but the bit of land purchased was at the side of a Canal and bought a Narrow Boat to live on!

And as the advantage, when fed up, starts up n beggers off for a few days!

Living The Dream!
                              I also had friends who lived on a narrow boat...........not quite for me but they loved it.
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

BM! I'd sell up n do it tomorrow!

But our lass ain't keen! ..................
                                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X