• Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mom's 90 yr old hands are less scarred and wrinkly than mine

SP....you get my vote for the biggest 'ouch 'so far
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have a nice comfortable office job, my bum is spreading nicely!
      Late 50s and the backs of my hands are starting to look wrinkly when I don't clench my fists. Having grown up in the country the idea of wearing gloves to do anything was an anathama to me, but I also play guitar and the need to protect my fingers and preserve the skin leads me to wear them more and more, latex for car fixing and gardening gloves more for grubbing about. I don't always remember and then when I wash the soil off my hands they feel very dry for a couple of days. Also my front garden has a wonderful loam after years of composting and mulching, unfortunately it's the only one like it in the Cul du sac and the cats take advantage.....Grrrr. Gloves in the front garden are essential otherwise you get your fingers covered!
      I do apply some baby oil to my hands when they are very dry although the harvesting of babies bothers me a little ;-)

Comment

Now, where to start - with my right I think as it is the most gloriously battered out of the 2.

At the moment I have shortish nails, a cut across my index finger knuckle, numerous canula scars, a small cycst and just above my cuff line 2 long red gouges that Minnies dew claws made.

My left has a 2in white scar from I don't remember what, numerous canula scars and a bruise just above my thumb.

Both hands have the kind of skin a reptile would be very proud of.

Pictures on request.
        I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Elephants are always pretty wrinkly though lumps - even the babies!

Comment

Just browsing and came across this thread, my hands are like works of art, well proportioned and smooth, a bit on the pale side but if I kept them out my pockets for a while they would darken down, they look like a young persons hands, (or hands a young person is going to get if he doesn't stop jumping out on me to give me a fright) I also note not one person asked SP if the pup is ok, a bite like that could be too rich for a young dog, or could lead to poisoning as you never know where that hand has been, and now just looking at my hands I think I will go for a manicure
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

The puppy is fine thanks rary (you do make me laugh, young man)

Comment

Glad to hear the pups ok SP, sadly I didn't get a manicure, when I took my hands out my pockets I had to let my wallet go and because of the weight of the I.O.Us in it my trousers started to slip
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

STRONGLY recommend O'Keeffe's Working Hands cream.. (Wickes , others Google).
                  Excellent results on cuts, chafed hands, splits and soreness. Makes a great difference for Gardening, DIY or washing up!

Comment

This thread caused me to take a good look at my hands and to reach back in my memory. Photos? No way!

Wrinkles. Cracks in the skin at the nail corners. Bent fingers and bulges from arthritis at the joints. Scars from a run in with a large spring on an overhead door (The plastic surgeon did an excellent job during all 3 surgeries fixing a badly broken finger, cut skin, and cut tendons. Wires and pins are still in place. A photo wouldn't show the scars that he was able to hide.). Scars from childhood accidents.

All that and my hands still work at a keyboard for my job and I can still play the guitar (though never very well).

Hands are amazing things!
                    Nutter's Club member.

Comment

No photos here either!
                      Wrinkles, freckles/age spots, obvious veins. Broken nails with mud beneath because I've just planted out some beans and peas. Bent and knobbly joints.
                      Right hand is the worst for scars. A big one across the wrist and into the palm of my hand from a carpal tunnel op years ago. Another scar from between my little finger and the next across my knuckles from washing up!. It was a china mug and I put 3 fingers in it to clean inside, leaving my little finger outside. Rubbed around inside the mug and the water in the bowl turned red. Funny thought I, pulled my hand and mug out and found that the mug had been chipped at the rim while in the bowl under water. A&E made a good job of stitching it back together (hand not mug) and the good news was - I couldn't do any washing up for weeks while it healed There's always a bright side
                      I haven't enjoyed doing the washing up since then!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X