No announcement yet.

Has Your Get up'n'Go Got up'n'Gone?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan for next year, which reminds me. I was given some seeds in Feb and I didn't hear what they were. I thought I'd lost them but have found 3 of them in a bag. I'll plant them and see what happens. That should fend off the seasonal depression for a while.
    "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
    "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
    Oxfordshire

Comment

Maybe in the past, but nowadays I find I like the closure the season brings...With kids I think you start to segment the years differently anyways. All about terms
      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
      sigpic

Comment

I'm with you BM. My get up and go left a long time ago. There is a glimmer of hope, I do have the occasional motivated day.

Comment

Gosh!

For me it's now totally the opposite!

Having had 2 months with no rain , there's clearly been a few cms which have fallen since we've been away.
          Yep..WEEDS...everywhere!
          I think we have a fair bit of basic weeding and tidying up to catch up on.

Tis funny how 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' rings true....having checked on the chook and bunny headcount on our return, fussed and fussed again over Hibou, I just couldn't resist spending 20 mins yanking new weeds out of our nearest border.

I've got back utterly refreshed and looking forward to getting stuck in to the garden again before the autumnal weather really kicks in!

I'm sure you all just need to look at your gardens / veg patches anew and appreciate what you have- there are so many peeps who would jump at the chance of having your bit of cultivated land
          Go on....enjoy it

BM....I think a new project is in order!
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Absolutely and completely there with you BM! It really doesn't matter what new ideas or hobby plans you come up with, if it's proper S.A.D, you wont be bothered with any of them once the initial interest wears off a bit. The motivation lessens and it seems so much easier to just not bother, you just get a bit flat.

I also get a bit less social, I'm a happy friendly sort most of the time but when the sun goes and the sky is dreich, I get more inclined to sit quietly in the background rather than join in iyswim.

I have a proper S.A.D lamp that I use every morning from September onwards and I usually also take a very high dose Vit D capsule but I'm forgetting taking them at the moment so it's a bit hit or miss. It takes ages for the Vit D to build up and have an effect so I'm doing myself no good whatsoever by missing some.

Feel for you. I keep threatening to spend the winters in Spain. We could start a GYO commune over there if you like?

Comment

OK can't help it but I'm with the big guy, this year for some reason I can't be bothered to get up at 6 because it's dark and I hate it. Normally I would be up and about and doing something, the winter apathy is drawing in and I don't like it in fact I hate it and the dark mornings and the dark evening.

I've even been getting to the allotment a little later and I find myself with an energy drain mid afternoon. I am type 2 diabetic and I have put a little weight back on but when I feel like this I want comfort food which is satisfying and self defeating at the same time.

Roll on spring/ summer and lighter mornings and evenings and hopefully a regeneration of my, BM and anyone else who hates Autumn & Winters get up and go
              sigpic
              . .......Man Vs Slug
              Click Here for my Diary and Blog
              Nutters Club Member

Comment

Just a heads up.....
                When I came over here I was absolutely exhausted- I thought it was all the building work we were doing, but also felt down when I really should have felt elated.
                Quick trip to the GP ...asked for a Vit D level test...( everyone I know here is on Vit D supplements and I really didn't want to take them if I was within normal levels)
                Result?.....very, very low, even though I had a really healthy diet.

consequence?
                Regular Vit D has utterly changed my life!

I know we can't give medical advice on here- but I really think that it's one of the last things peeps think about but is particularly important to consider having looked into if you think you might have SAD, or just anyway if you are normally lively in the summer and feel 'dull' the rest of the time.

Just a thought
                Last edited by Nicos; 01-10-2016, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Something that statisticly all of us of a certain age might suffer from i's a lack of vitamin D. One reason this is becoming common is because testing for it has become very cheap. Anyway tablets are very cheap for a short course and it might lift you after a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                    BM....I think a new project is in order!
                    Now you come to mention it, I have something in mind. Thanx for the tips on VitD.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

^^^^^^ how exciting!

New thread.....come on...new thread!

Comment

BM....have you ever thought of making simple YouTube tutorials for peeps?
                        You have fantastic skills and think outside the box...most inspirational!?

You could start with a simple planter for minuet maybe?
                        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1485881

( I'm rubbish at woodwork skills but 'helped' my OH make some insect houses...yep, the screws are in at an angle, and I needed help from time to time pulling the drill bit out of the wood....but I got there in the end! )
                        Great fun!
                        ...and yes, my OH needed a medal for his patience with me! Te he...

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          ^^^^^^ how exciting!

New thread.....come on...new thread!
                          Done..................
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Another shout out for Vit D - I've taken it for several years now, with a small break from it during summer when I'm more exposed ... as it were!
                            aka
                            Suzie

Comment

Well,am pleased to hear of the gardeners remedy for keeping away hibernation,i have felt like that most of the summer,aprox 3 weeks ago i got us some multi vits,do not know if it.s them or not,but yesterday i enjoyed being outside at home pulling up some weeds,also son was out there sifting the mountain of soil left from the partly make over'd garden,more to do in time,i find it helps when others are about,today i stood in the green house and looked up at the home and thought,things do look that much nicer at the moment,lots of things can drain us of get up and go,when that happens,get up and GO ON THE VINE,or rest up and take it easier,it might just be your system having catch up,i will however try vit B fertilizer for humans a wiz,
                              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

The people who suffer from SAD have my sympathy, any imbalance within the body is not pleasant, I have to take pills every day, and before my problem was diagnosed I pushed myself to go jogging, walking and generally keep active, basically I was killing myself, and I don't know how long it would have continued if it wasn't for my wife holding a knife to my throat and noticeing something wrong and ordered me to the doctor for a blood test, so that's what you should do if you are feeling lethargic get your blood checked, if for no other reason than to put your mind at rest. Now that I can go walking, jogging etc. I can't be bothered and remember age is just a frame of mind
                                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X