Budget wheelbarrow.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budget wheelbarrow.

Today I visited the local HomeBaise store (it's a brief walk for some exercise) and they have a special called 'everyday wheelbarrow' at a price of £17.50
    It's a bent steel frame, plated steel tub and what looks like a pnumatic tyre. the frame is not industrial strength but for general use about the plot I've bought one (not too worried about getting it nikked at that price).

There are other budget/discounted wheelbarrows but this seems decent at the moment. It won't stand filling with wet cement and being pushed over rough ground for long I suspect.

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
    Today I visited the local HomeBaise store (it's a brief walk for some exercise) and they have a special called 'everyday wheelbarrow' at a price of £17.50
    Looks like a good buy but.... They had other wheeled items for carrying compost and the like which also looked to be a good price. £27? or so. Worth checking on the Internet to see if any feedback. :-)
    Endeavour to have lived, so that when you die, even the undertaker will be sorry - Puddinghead Wilson's Diary

Nutter by Nature

Comment

Over here all the pneumatic tires are tubeless and usually don't hold air. I have tubes put in them so the tires aren't always flat. Might be something you would want to do unless you have compress air readily available.
      Nutter's Club member.

Comment

In 2012 King Arthur called his knights around him and spoke “Gentleman, forget the Grail……go search the lands and find me an economic sturdy wheelbarrow for Cadalot's allotment” and they went on their quest ….

The results can be seen at Alans Allotment: In Search of a Wheel Barrow (or Part thereof)
        Last edited by Cadalot; 11-08-2016, 05:45 AM.
        sigpic
        . .......Man Vs Slug
        Click Here for my Diary and Blog
        Nutters Club Member

Comment

Well a revisit to this one.
          The wheelbarrow I bought for £17.50 looked strikingly similar to the one in @Cadalots link posted above.
          As I suspected it is built to a price and being more brawn than brains I tend to over load it and abuse it. The thin body sort of collapsed onto the front wheel so I inserted a wire fridge shelf between frame and body to support it. The bolt holes have started to pull through in places. But it still functions, is increadably lightweight and good value for what it is.
          So all in all it is a useful product and in the hands of a normal operator would be very likely to last many years, I'm satisfied with my purchase and I'm happy to leave it on the plot unatteneded.

Comment

My mother bought a metal "builder's" wheelbarrow for some work which we were having done then - about 45 years later and I still use it, though I have had to patch the steel pipe frame in a couple of places, as it had rusted through. ( I'm a bit on the tight side )

Comment

An old thread of mine http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ion_66565.html

Comment

The life can be extended by protecting the points of the frame that touch the ground.

I use off-cuts of pond hose piping.
                Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I was given mine.
                  It has an almost square wheel with a solid tyre,and a hole in the front of the barrow,so you have to be quick! The top isn't bolted to the frame very well so when I push it you can here me coming from a mile away and I lose half the load on the way!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    I was given mine.
                    It has an almost square wheel with a solid tyre,and a hole in the front of the barrow,so you have to be quick! The top isn't bolted to the frame very well so when I push it you can here me coming from a mile away and I lose half the load on the way!
                    I've got one identical to that Snager..!
                    Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

Sounds like mine too - given to me as a stop-gap five years ago when I got my plot. All one colour when I got it (rust), it used to have an annoying habit of filling with water when i forgot to put it away, but has since self-diagnosed and developed it's own self-draining mechanism (hole). Last year I revamped it with some snazzy yellow plastic handlegrips, a drop of oil to the axle, and a few lbs of air into the tyre for the first time in I don't know what... 30 years?? Good as new!
                      He-Pep!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X