Storing cordials

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing cordials

Blackberry time is nearly here and after mostly making jam last year I want to try making a few bottles of cordial. I've been looking at wine bottles online and stoppers and corks.
    1 wine bottle of cordial provided the kids like it will probably last a weekish. If I bought corks for them when I make the cordial would a silicone bottle stoppers be OK to use in it for it to keep a week or longer or would those bottle stoppers thingies be OK to put in them when they are initially made?

I seem to be over thinking this in a bid to make myself prepared and ready and seem to be checking, double checking then triple checking then hoping back on everything I've just checked and doubting it.

Basically I want to make cordial but storing it and then once the bottle is opened is spinning my head. I've never made wine or homebrew or anythjng like that. Using corks once opened is asking gor disaster with the kids using it which is why I thought of the silicone stopper things

You need screw top glass bottles. In order for the cordial to keep for a long time it must be sterilized so you will also need a large cooking pot deeper than the bottles are high. They can be stored in a cupboard. Once the cordial is opened keep it in the fridge and it will keep for a week or two.

Method for sterilizing.

Fill the bottles to within an inch of the top and put the tops on but do not screw down tightly.
    Place the bottles in the pot standing on a trivit or folded teatowel.
    Fill the pot with cold water to almost cover the bottles.
    Place on the heat source at a low setting and bring to simmering point over an hour.
    When simmering point has been reached maintain this for 20 mins.
    Remove the bottles at once and screw down the tops.
    Allow to cool naturally.

I have been using this method for years and to date only lost one bottle to mould. The only problem is finding the bottles and a big enough pot.
    Last edited by roitelet; 01-08-2016, 06:31 AM.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I fill plastic drinks bottles with cordial and freeze them - I use less sugar than in recipes so it has a shorter storage life otherwise.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I do the same as sparrow for elderflower cordial in the spring. That way I can use plastic milk cartons and old water/pop bottles which gives just enough cordial at a time for five days to a week and then we can change flavours. Once thawed it keeps in the fridge for a week or so. Don't fill the bottles all the way to the top though or they'll split when the cordial expands as it freezes.

In autumn, when freezer space is tight, I'm going to use sterilised jam jars and decant into bottles in the fridge once opened. To sterilise jars I wash in hot, soapy water before arranging on a baking tray lined with a few sheets of newspaper and 'bake' (at gas mark 3) for about 10 minutes or untill completely dry. I boil the lids. Because I doubt I'll find a pan tall enough to take bottles.
        http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I do the same as Sparrow and Muddled. I freeze them in small empty fizzy water bottles. The cordial never freezes to solid though due, I think, to the sugar content.
          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
            I do the same as sparrow for elderflower cordial in the spring. That way I can use plastic milk cartons and old water/pop bottles which gives just enough cordial at a time for five days to a week and then we can change flavours. Once thawed it keeps in the fridge for a week or so. Don't fill the bottles all the way to the top though or they'll split when the cordial expands as it freezes.

In autumn, when freezer space is tight, I'm going to use sterilised jam jars and decant into bottles in the fridge once opened. To sterilise jars I wash in hot, soapy water before arranging on a baking tray lined with a few sheets of newspaper and 'bake' (at gas mark 3) for about 10 minutes or untill completely dry. I boil the lids. Because I doubt I'll find a pan tall enough to take bottles.
            This makes me feel better. Got a couple jam jars of redcurrant cordial that actually turned into jelly and I was thinking I may need to chuck them in the freezer.
            I have just made some strawberry and raspberry cordial - well it's straining at the moment. I'm gonna chuck this in the freezer when it's done.
            I just liked the idea of having it convenient in bottles to hand

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
              I do the same as Sparrow and Muddled. I freeze them in small empty fizzy water bottles. The cordial never freezes to solid though due, I think, to the sugar content.
              Gonna give the freezer a shot with today's cordial

Comment

I freeze in icecube trays then turn into bags. That way you can just get out however many you need
                Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X