No announcement yet.

NWR ladies?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm intrigued as well. From what I've found online it seems to be local groups who have social meets ups and discuss whatever they want to discuss?

I'd like to read a mission statement or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
      I'm intrigued as well. From what I've found online it seems to be local groups who have social meets ups and discuss whatever they want to discuss?

I'd like to read a mission statement or something similar.
      That's about what I thought as well. It seems to be a bit like the WI without the Jam and Jerusalem.
      "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
      "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
      Oxfordshire

Comment

The WI were fantastic record keepers and there records are a mine of information for anyone tracing ancestors, social comment and suchlike! Never heard of tuther though!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ok ladies I'll try, bearing in mind every group will vary, and it may not suit some.

It was started in the early 80's, the idea for young mums stuck at home with young children an outlet to get out of the home and not discuss nappies, teething, sleepless nights etc, but to meet regularly and discuss topics, maybe have a speaker, to try and keep minds active.

Some of the members in my group have been members for over 35 years! So we are obviously all in the older age group!

We meet in each other's homes, we are 14 members, we meet fortnighly, we have a 'programme ' meeting and plan a programme for 6 months. This is extremely varied, and could be anything from discuss / research a musical instrument to tall buildings, or your favourite flower, herb, piece of music, what you'd take to a desert island etc, very varied, we had a chocolate tasting evening once, and recently a talk from the Air ambulance service. We all speak for about 5/10 minutes, start at 7.30, end around 10.00, with refreshments.

So it keeps your mind active, offers friendship, and support and we do have a laugh on occasions. Sometimes 4/5 will visit an exhibition or art gallery, theatre, or cinema if interested.

We are a mixed group, some single either through divorce, or widows, but some are married.

Once a year there is a big national conference, often in a university town, last year was Glasgow, this year, Brighton. 6 of us went, travelling in 2 cars, staying university accommodation, good food, good speakers, and lots of laughs. Next year Lincoln.

I joined my local group, taken along by a friend, almost 3 years ago, and enjoy the support of other 'like minded women'! ( as they say).

The website does give you more info, and you should be able to find your nearest group. You can contact them and a local organiser should get back to you.

It's not for everyone and obviously takes time to get to grips with what it's all about and get to know the others in the group, but I enjoy it and have found out about lots of things I wouldn't have done otherwise.

We did have a meeting at my house, called ' if you were a vegetable, what would it be and why'! I researched the humble 'courgette', very versatile and very healthy! ( that topic was one of my mad suggestions) another one coming up is 'Hats'!

Hope this has helped, do 'google'it and if interested contact them.
          DottyR

Comment

Annual membership is £18.00.
            DottyR

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X